Thread: extraction fan for chinese co2 laser

extraction fan for chinese co2 laser

Hi All
    Looking for a quite extraction system for a Chinese CO2 laser. Must move fumes/smoke at-least 5mts but ideally 25mts. I will use mainly 150mm PVC piping with 22deg bends where necessary (only a couple mainly straight line). Initially thought of using 1 or 2 inline fans but the more I look into this the more complex the solution becomes. Static air, positive pressure, negative pressure etc. I was going to get the biggest fan for my budget and then discovered diameter of pipe is important.
    Any suggestions or examples of what others have used would be greatly appreciated.
    I will be taking delivery of my laser in about 30 days & it comes with a 550w fan (blow up castle style) which I believe are very noisy. can they be baffled?
    i don't want to spend $1200 on a filter system just yet.

PS I was going to say its not rocket science....But I'm sure someone would have inform me it actually is..

Cheers

Mark
    There are dozens of threads on this topic just waiting to be searched.

you may need to be a contributor to do a search but that can be as little as $6 a year.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Thanks Mike, tried to search but kept going to google. Now I know why......

You're right about sucking smoke from a laser cabinet isn't rocket science, and yeah some folks think it is

As I'm typing this I'm uploading a video to show you that all you should really need is a basic Harbor Freight dust-collection blower. They work and they last

Note- I'm a crappy video maker, not my calling --and, note that I'm engraving with the cabinet doors OPEN, which is normal for these 2 machines, my Gravograph(s) LS-100 and LS-900...

Last edited by Kev Williams; 04-13-2022 at 2:07 AM.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Perfect, that's what i wanted to see. Sometimes you can get too much information and waste your time procrastinating. You have just saved me so much stress
    Thanks for your help

PS your video work is not bad at all
    Why do you engrave with door open?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark McGonagle View Post
    Why do you engrave with door open?
    Because I can! The vast majority of my engraving is plastic tags, labels, SS ID plates, etc, and I simply don't like opening and closing those damn lids! Now, my big 1390 Chinese Triumph, the cabinet is very large, and the smoke is pulled from below the honeycomb table which is way less efficient than pulling smoke from ABOVE the table, so that door gets closed My GCC Explorer pulls smoke from above the table, but it has a 3' long table, so WHERE on the table I'm engraving affects how well all the smoke removes with the door open- since it's door is a lightweight sheet of lexan I just usually close it...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle