Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Woodpeckers MortiseMatch

With all due respect to Carmonius Finsnicker, he may have put it on YT 2 years ago but these types of jigs have been around for years and years.
    Anyone who has a biscuit jointer has probably built something similar at some point.
    Honestly, it's a board with a fence. Any woodworker should be able to make one for much less than what it's being sold for at WP.
    As for WP, I like a small fraction of there tools, many are just remakes of old or forgotten tools, some are answers to problems no one has and all of them are priced too high. Also, how many squares do they make? That's just my opinion, everyone buy what you want to.
    I agree with Justin Rapp but sadly, this is not WP's business model

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Santos View Post
    Chris,
    Here are photos of the fences I was mentioning.
    Much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    With all due respect to Carmonius Finsnicker, he may have put it on YT 2 years ago but these types of jigs have been around for years and years.
    Anyone who has a biscuit jointer has probably built something similar at some point.
    Honestly, it's a board with a fence. Any woodworker should be able to make one for much less than what it's being sold for at WP.
    As for WP, I like a small fraction of there tools, many are just remakes of old or forgotten tools, some are answers to problems no one has and all of them are priced too high. Also, how many squares do they make? That's just my opinion, everyone buy what you want to.
    I agree...
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Step 1) take existing concept/product/jig
    Step 2) Make said product out of "precision CNCd (red anodized) aluminum"
    Step 3) Profit

Woodpeckers seems to be a company people love to hate
    I remember how much the woodworking community loved to hate SawStop because of some of the original owner's legal maneuvers. But that seems to have faded from memory, and change in ownership definitively put that in the past.
    I always notice that Lee Valley always stays on the high ground and never seems to get much hate.
    Maybe its because it's hard to hate Canadians.

Quote Originally Posted by richard poitras View Post
    It looks to me that Woodpeckers copied the idea from Carmonius Finsnickeri the guy who came up with it 2 years ago? If you look at his video above it clearly is a spin off of it. Too bad big business does this. To me it casts a bad image of any company that does such things and makes me not want to buy from them.

So plus one to Veritas for actually referring to the original designer and crediting him for the design and working with him.
    I was following this story yesterday, and I totally share your opinion patent or not...

Hmm, has Woodpecker been digging through my archives.https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....oat&highlight=

Woodworkers make jigs, it's simply part of what we do.
    I'm sure many of us have built jigs and fixtures at one time or another only to later see similar versions for retail sale, it happens.
    If I build things for a living, why would I pay for something as simple as a clamping board and fence? ( I ask rhetorically)
    I just build a jig to do the job and move on. Not every little shop jig is worthy of mass production or even limited production in WP's case.
    It's a different mind set.
    I see this tool and think, I could make that, it might be handy. I certainly don't think, $650 (on sale) what a deal, I think I'll pick one up.
    Which is why they often are the company we love to hate.

I don't claim to know where WP got their idea from, whether is was the Carmonius Finsnicker video or somewhere else, it's certainly nothing new.
    Example, from 2001
    https://www.highlandwoodworking.com/...uitjoiner.aspx

If I build things for a living, why would I pay for something as simple as a clamping board and fence? ( I ask rhetorically)
    I just build a jig to do the job and move on.

I don't claim to know where WP got their idea from, whether is was the Carmonius Finsnicker video or somewhere else, it's certainly nothing new.
    Example, from 2001
    https://www.highlandwoodworking.com/...uitjoiner.aspx
    I see you are discussing mine and woodpeckers jigs so I thought I should become a member and answer some thoughts.

If you build things for a living you are well aware of that speed, high accuracy and short set up times is key. This is not "just a clamping board with a fence". The bisquit versions you linked to is about that, except for clamps though. The domino jig is a different beast and the accurate flipping of the fence is the key/brain that differs it from others. No need to spend time trying to prefectly center the joint in thickness of the stock, no test cuts are needed, there's no "knocking the fence a little bit, make another test cut, adjust and repeat". It's dead on accurate method at first try and within minutes you made a frame that perfectly aligns in all corners. As a pro woodworker the time to build my jig is saved over and over several times for me. I would also say woodpeckers with their price will save so much time that it pays itself over time if you work a lot with narrow parts and smaller frame structures. This doesn't go for earlier models without the smart flip fence or concept how to adjust for different thickness of material (which woodpecker have solved in a better and very much more expensive way than I have), and without integrated clamping concept.

Edit. Pretty much all my jig builds drive in the same direction. Speed up set up time, minimize no of test cuts and small adjustments needed and improve accuracy. For instance my digital side fence for the router may seem like massive overkill...but with about 1 hour build time and 35$ cost it has also paid itself over and over. So has my digital fence for the router table. The later not invented by me as I also clearly state in the video. https://youtu.be/W8GJfRDhf4c and https://youtu.be/hz17-UutQNU
    Last edited by Ola Carmonius; 04-16-2022 at 2:02 PM.

Again, not knocking the Domino in any way, but I cannot think of a procedure it can do that the Pantorouter cannot do
    Fully agree that the Pantorouter is much more versatile than the Domino.

But for the specific tasks this Domino table was developed, the Domino will be a quicker choice with shorter set up time, at least I think so...

Using the pantorouter, you would either need to perfectly center the joint in thickness (if that joint position is ok), or find a way to perfectly flip the fence around the x-center of the cut, or move the template, after the fence is moved left to right. For frame constructions with the joint off centered in thickness, which is pretty usual if it's a profiled frame or a frame with a rabbet, the fence would need to be moved from left to right. This is handled automatically in these Domino jigs but I think it would need some test cuts and adjustments on the pantorouter, before the position is perfectly mirrored.
    Last edited by Ola Carmonius; 04-17-2022 at 6:44 AM.

The reason I started this post was that this WP tool offered the left right positioning of the stops for cutting mating pieces.

I have a Pantorouter, and yes it can be setup and be manually adjusted to obtain the correct positioning, but I prefer physical/mechanical methods of doing this, taking my error out of the equation.

The variable height adjustment is also a nice feature on the WP jig, but as Carmonius showed, that can be easily solved with a bit of shimming.

I'm please I started this thread as it lead me to Carmonius's great jig, and I hope you don't mind, Carmonius, but I'm going to copy it for my own personal use. Thank You.
    Last edited by ChrisA Edwards; 04-17-2022 at 10:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    The reason I started this post was that this WP tool offered the left right positioning of the stops for cutting mating pieces.

I have a Pantorouter, and yes it can be setup and be manually adjusted to obtain the correct positioning, but I prefer physical/mechanical methods of doing this, taking my error out of the equation.

The variable height adjustment is also a nice feature on the WP jig, but as Carmonius showed, that can be easily solved with a bit of shimming.

I'm please I started this thread as it lead me to Carmonius's great jig, and I hope you don't mind, Carmonius, but I'm going to copy it for my own personal use. Thank You.
    Go ahead and copy, that was the reason I uploaded the video a few years ago, for people to build their own which many have already. This is some extra info linked in the video description, if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ola Carmonius View Post
    Fully agree that the Pantorouter is much more versatile than the Domino.

But for the specific tasks this Domino table was developed, the Domino will be a quicker choice with shorter set up time, at least I think so...

Using the pantorouter, you would either need to perfectly center the joint in thickness (if that joint position is ok), or find a way to perfectly flip the fence around the x-center of the cut, or move the template, after the fence is moved left to right. For frame constructions with the joint off centered in thickness, which is pretty usual if it's a profiled frame or a frame with a rabbet, the fence would need to be moved from left to right. This is handled automatically in these Domino jigs but I think it would need some test cuts and adjustments on the pantorouter, before the position is perfectly mirrored.
    The way I would do the operation you are describing, on the Pantorouter, is as follows:
    1. Mark the centerline of all my joints (good practice anyway)
    2. Set up the fence to cut one end of the frame member, using the centerline of the joint for my placement exactly on the centerline scribed on the pantorouter table.
    3. Move the fence to the other side of the centerline for the opposite side of the frame member using the same procedure. Doing this would not involve changing thickness setting even though the joint is off center in the workpiece thickness. The same workpiece reference face would stay down.
    4. This should only take seconds and would not require a test cut unless you chose to do one.
    5. Remember, the pantorouter is cutting both mortise and integral tenon in this manner.

Once the pantorouter is initially calibrated, the process of setting the template holder to the exact center of the workpiece is simple. In the even the joint is off center, you can use a setup block (1/8", 1/4" or whatever off center) to adjust the template holder setting.

Of course, the cost of a pantorouter is much higher than making your jig. If someone already owns a Domino then I would say your jig is a great way to get more functionality out of it. The pantorouter subject only came up because I knew the OP already owned one and I was curious why he was looking at other solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Stray View Post
    I was following this story yesterday, and I totally share your opinion patent or not...
    And we discuss ethical part of purchasing red tools available on Banggood….

The way I would do the operation you are describing, on the Pantorouter, is as follows:
    1. Mark the centerline of all my joints (good practice anyway)
    2. Set up the fence to cut one end of the frame member, using the centerline of the joint for my placement exactly on the centerline scribed on the pantorouter table.
    3. Move the fence to the other side of the centerline for the opposite side of the frame member using the same procedure. Doing this would not involve changing thickness setting even though the joint is off center in the workpiece thickness. The same workpiece reference face would stay down.
    4. This should only take seconds and would not require a test cut unless you chose to do one.
    5. Remember, the pantorouter is cutting both mortise and integral tenon in this manner.

Once the pantorouter is initially calibrated, the process of setting the template holder to the exact center of the workpiece is simple. In the even the joint is off center, you can use a setup block (1/8", 1/4" or whatever off center) to adjust the template holder setting.

Of course, the cost of a pantorouter is much higher than making your jig. If someone already owns a Domino then I would say your jig is a great way to get more functionality out of it. The pantorouter subject only came up because I knew the OP already owned one and I was curious why he was looking at other solutions.
    Ok thanks for thorough answer. The centerline tactic I use myself when cutting mortices with the router so I'm quite familiar with it even if I don't own a pantorouter.