Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Woodpeckers MortiseMatch

Woodpeckers MortiseMatch

Got the email flyer for this accessory this morning from Woodpeckers.

Being a Festool Domino 500 user, this looked like an intriguing, useful jig.

I watched the video, without looking at the price, and thought this is a pretty nice jig/tool and set my "how much would I pay for this" price in my head, being prepared to actually purchase one, only to be way off and watch another nice Woodpeckers tool priced out of reach for the average wood worker.

I'll have a watch a little later but looks like a pretty (easy to build) standard jig that's been around for the biscuit joiner for quite a while.

My advice would be, watch the video if you need to and them make your own.
    As usual WP tools are overpriced. $650 for a simple jig, seriously.
    JMO

My advice would be, watch the video if you need to and them make your own.
    You took the thoughts right out of my head.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    Got the email flyer for this accessory this morning from Woodpeckers.

Being a Festool Domino 500 user, this looked like an intriguing, useful jig.

I watched the video, without looking at the price, and thought this is a pretty nice jig/tool and set my "how much would I pay for this" price in my head, being prepared to actually purchase one,
    I saw from some of your other posts that you're a Pantorouter owner.
    At any price, what could a jig like this do for you that you cannot already do better on your Pantorouter?

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Santos View Post
    I saw from some of your other posts that you're a Pantorouter owner.
    At any price, what could a jig like this do for you that you cannot already do better on your Pantorouter?

Yes I own a Pantorouter. What this has that the Pantorouter doesn't, at least currently, is the adjustable angle fence for 45 degrees or other non 90 degree joints and the ability to accurately set the reference stops, left and right.

But you are correct, with a little bit of effort, I could probably build a fence to do this on the pantorouter.

Currently, for picture frame type joints, I use a Seneca Tools plate for this on my Domino 500.

Yes I own a Pantorouter. What this has that the Pantorouter doesn't, at least currently, is the adjustable angle fence for 45 degrees or other non 90 degree joints and the ability to accurately set the reference stops, left and right.
    Ah, I see. Thank you for elaborating. The reason I asked is because I'm new to the Pantorouter myself and once I got through the learning curve and familiarized myself with the operating principle, I am continually impressed with what it can do.
    My kit came with a metal pivoting fence with long slots that will adjust to any angle. What I do is set my desired angle on a bevel gauge and then lay it on the table, set the adjustable fence to it, and off we go.
    I can post a photo of the fence I'm talking about if it is useful to you or anyone else.

With a bit of jig hardware, making special fences for the Pantorouter table is very easy. I made a high fence for backing up through mortises for example.

However, I would never say it entirely takes the place of a Domino because sometimes it's just better to take a tool to the work.
    Last edited by Edwin Santos; 04-12-2022 at 12:54 PM.

Yes would love to see those pictures.

I just got a Onefinity CNC, so my first thought was to replicate the Woodpeckers idea, I actually have the old Woodpeckers drill press fence, after I upgraded to the new style, so that could possibly use that in some of the fabrication.

I have the Shaper Origin Workstation table, which is a little larger than the Woodpeckers tool here. With all its stops and ancillary parts it was about $400, which is what I probably would have paid for the Woodpeckers tool.

Have you seen this?

https://youtu.be/qP3JGfjUGbM

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Mac View Post
    Have you seen this?

https://youtu.be/qP3JGfjUGbM
    Perfect, thanks

Yes would love to see those pictures.
    Chris,
    Here are photos of the fences I was mentioning. If your Pantorouter kit did not come with the fence I show, you could certainly order it. Making either one would be a pretty simple affair with the Pantorouter. Either the standard mortise templates, or even better, the slot mortising template with the moveable stops would allow you to make slots of any size. I use the jig t-bolts from Lee Valley with hardware store wing nuts. I've done some chairmaking that involved setting the workpiece on a ramp wedge in order to locate the mortise. Pantorouter would suggest tilting the table into the vertical position when needed, but I preferred to make the high fence to support a workpiece clamped in the vertical position.

Again, not knocking the Domino in any way, but I cannot think of a procedure it can do that the Pantorouter cannot do, unless the scale of the work is such that taking a portable tool to it makes more sense in which case the Domino is good to have.

IMG_0644 sm.jpgIMG_0645 sm.jpgIMG_0646 sm.jpgIMG_0647 sm.jpgIMG_0648 sm.jpgIMG_0649 sm.jpgIMG_0650 sm.jpg

Veritas is also working on one, and they are actually referring to the original designer and crediting him for the design (plus some royalties). Also, the price will be much lower.
    Last edited by Wojciech Tryc; 04-14-2022 at 7:39 AM.

I don't have a Domino jig, but I am a woodpecker fan, for most items. I really do see this one, along with many of their tools just priced way out of line for what it is. I get it, they do make quality and it's made in the USA so you support American workers. However, when it comes down to it, some of their tools are just priced off the charts. My view is, this jig is a semi-limited market, so they have to sell it high to offset the R&D expense. However, if they really wanted to get one into more hands, they sure do need to drop the price. They might even sell five times more of them if they priced it sub $300. Per unit it would quickly offset the R&D costs with substantially more sales.
    Distraction could lead to dismemberment!

It looks to me that Woodpeckers copied the idea from Carmonius Finsnickeri the guy who came up with it 2 years ago? If you look at his video above it clearly is a spin off of it. Too bad big business does this. To me it casts a bad image of any company that does such things and makes me not want to buy from them.

So plus one to Veritas for actually referring to the original designer and crediting him for the design and working with him.
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Blog Entries
    So it's basically Hofmann dovetail base with a domino instead of a router.