Thread: Dust collection pipe height

Dust collection pipe height

I have an Oneida 1.5 Hp dust collector in my 30x30 workshop. At any time, nothing is using any farther than 15'. My question is, is it to high to run the main 6" trunk in the center point in my metal building? The peak is 14' high. I have 3 runs that go up to it...

Grizzly 3hp table saw - 11' vertical run

DeWalt miter saw - 10' vertical run

Rockler 4" adapter that connects to all others, bandsaw, drill press, planer, jointer and tools on mobile flip carts. - 6' vertical run.

Hope this makes sense. The horizontal rum in the "rafters" is 13' to the left tee and 9' on the right.

Have you already run the pipe? You seem to be speaking in the past tense. If so, seems like you can just dump out sawdust and test.

If not, I also have a grizzly 1.5 HP, and one of the things I've done which gives a massive increase in CFM is to add some blast gates where there are sub branches, not just blast gates at the tools. This is possible because the main is run under the 9' joists, and I'm tall enough to reach the blast gates from the floor. Adding blast gates for sub branches decreases the amount of pipe under pressure by about 2-3x.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Howell View Post
    I have an Oneida 1.5 Hp dust collector in my 30x30 workshop. At any time, nothing is using any farther than 15'. My question is, is it to high to run the main 6" trunk in the center point in my metal building? The peak is 14' high. I have 3 runs that go up to it...

Grizzly 3hp table saw - 11' vertical run

DeWalt miter saw - 10' vertical run

Rockler 4" adapter that connects to all others, bandsaw, drill press, planer, jointer and tools on mobile flip carts. - 6' vertical run.

Hope this makes sense. The horizontal rum in the "rafters" is 13' to the left tee and 9' on the right.
    I would suggest you contact the engineering folks at Oneida for their recommendations. They have engineers who specialize in design with experience in these types of considerations.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Duct work height depends on what you're building. Unless you need the clearance, putting the duct work within reach of a 10' step ladder will make installation, maintenance, and up grades go better. Do you use a fork lift? They need more head room.