Thread: Mobile base for bandsaw

Mobile base for bandsaw

Which is the better way to make a mobile base for this bandsaw? - an individual base for each "foot", or a full-sized mobile base?

IMG_9780.jpg

Each "foot" in the picture is 11" x 22", and the distance from the front end of the saw to the back is 44".

My question is whether or not I need to weld both parts of the mobile base together. They will probably be made from 1/2" steel plate with two threaded rods that are secured through the holes in the band saw's feet with nuts, and with two attached wheels each.
    Is there an advantage to welding some bracing between these two parts of the base to make one large mobile base?

One difference I can see is that if I position the wheels at the outer corners of the feet that there will be leverage on threaded rods / nuts that won't be there if I weld the base up as one unit.

One other advantage of making the base as one unit is that I can make it from steel bar, and not use a steel plate under each foot.

All advice welcome, thanks, Mark

It would at the least add rigidity, otherwise you're going to get "flex" in the frame every time you raise or lower...I believe.

Is that a 27 inch Northfield Band Saw ?

Bandsaws are top heavy and therefore tippy IMHO. I would have wheels that extend 8-12" front and back further than the base. On those big bandsaws they have hold to bolt to the floor, I think because the bases are small. I have a 30" Tannewitz and a 32" Northfield and I use 3" tall 8" wide skids that that are bolted to the machine. I then use a pallet jack that fits between them to move them around. For years I read that from people advocating for a pallet jack to move machines. Now that I have one I too am an advocate. So much easier and one can very precisely set a machine in place.

It’s hard to tell from photos however I would make a larger base from welded steel to make the base much wider for stability.

I like a semi live skid design with the base 1/4” off the floor, two wheels at the back, two levelling feet at the front, and a tow bar….regards, Rod

A bandsaw is top heavy and narrow. Raising it up onto wheels underneath will make it even narrower and more tippy. Those feet do not really look strong enough to carry the weight of a moving bandsaw. Realize each wheel will have to carry 1/3 to 1/2 of the weight at any given time. Not just the static load but the dynamic load as well. The dynamic load can easy be double the static load when you hit a bump.
    Bill D

Dave, it's a 32" Centauro 800 band saw.

On foot of all the advice here I will need to build a mobile base that support the entire machine, and that increases the footprint for stability, especially when moving the machine. Thank you all for the explanation of why.

Joe and Rod, is there any chance you could post a photo of the bases you have added to your machines?

thanks, Mark

I'm getting ready to build one for a Centauro 600. I'll post pictures when I do. I have some 6" casters for it. It will keep the machine close to the floor. I should get around to it in a few days. Fixed casters on the infeed side to keep the locking mechanisms out of the way more.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N5PT4YY...roduct_details

For me, either UHMW pads permanently attached to slide it around, but stays stable, or bolt it to a blocking and use a pallet jack.
    JonathanJungDesign.com

I use mine several hours at the time some days, so the big casters are to roll it out into the yard for those shingle making days. Dust collection is not the best from it, so a leaf blower cleans it off before we bring it back in.

mobile base

Hey Mark -- I recently went through this effort for my SCM S540P.

Here's a pic of how it ended up, I used steel U-channel, 28" long, 7" wide, to allow the leveling casters to turn.

Please let me know if you have any questions --

mobile base2.jpg

Thanks,

Ned

Nice solution Ned, it even suits the saw aesthetically.

Tom, looking forward to seeing what you make.

I agree with Joe and Jonathan, using a pallet jack is the best way to move large machines. When you add up the costs to purchase quality casters a small pallet jack is less expensive, a safer option and it is so much easier to move heavy objects with a pallet jack.

Got started cutting a few pieces this afternoon. These are some free 5" angle iron pieces. Width will be 27". I'm going to keep the base of the saw close to the floor. The 5" angle iron was larger than the capacity of the CL Enco bandsaw, so I had to make two repositions for each cut. Pretty cuts though. It will be done in spare time, which comes infrequently.
    Attached Images Attached Images