Thread: Cleaning 50 year old rafters before applying foil tape on insulation board

Cleaning 50 year old rafters before applying foil tape on insulation board

I am insulating my garage roof with polyiso board in between the 2x4 truss rafters. I plan to use foil tape to seal the seams. It will stick fine to the new insulation. But how can i clean the old rafters so the tape will stick. They are fairly clean not real dusty, no spider webs but touch them and my hands get real dirty real fast.
    I am hoping to do it from the ground as much as possible.
    Maybe a sponge mop and soap. A roofing tar brush?
    Bill D

brush attachment on a good vacuum; Shark, Dyson, etc... no reason to get the wood wet, you just need the loose dirt & dust removed.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

I don't know how to do it best from the ground. It seems like what would work best would be something like a rotary broom on a pole, if such a thing exists, or a flap wheel. If you could adapt a flap wheel to an electric pole saw head I think that would work really well, but I don't know how feasible that is. I think that maybe more than cleaning you might want to expose a new surface for the tape to stick the best.

Strong leaf blower?, if you try it wear a mask. I was told some car detailers use a leaf blower before or instead of a vac.
    Hobbyist woodworker
    Maryland

Blog Entries
    I have used contact cement as a primer before applying tape when I want the bond to be as permanent as possible. Have had good results using my Great Stuff Pro foam gun to seal foam board in-between rafters and trusses. The foam can be un-attractive but there are ways to deal with that. I used a stiff bristle gong brush to scrub loose dirt off of the underside of our daughters roof deck and rafters before spraying with Foam-It-Green. None of it is fun work. Good insulation is worth it.

Floor primer for peel and stick tiles might be worth trying.

Henry 1 qt. Floor Primer 12054
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 04-11-2022 at 8:48 AM. Reason: primer link
    Best Regards, Maurice

How about scabbing on a clean batton to the bottom.
    Aj

OP here: I bought a sponge mop at the dollar store and slipped a tee shirt sleeve over it. Cut a hole for the handle first. Held on with rubber bands. Worked fine. very little dirt came off. Probably not worth the effort.
    Bill D

I'd tray a paint roller on an extension handle.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Blog Entries
    The adhesive on HVAC foil tape is very good. It does not stick to wood as well as steel or foil. If you have trouble in the further Andrews Hughes's idea of battens could be a help. They could go on after the tape.
    Best Regards, Maurice