Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Another shop build thread

I got good news this morning. I had thought the Amish weren't going to have my remaining lumber cut yet, because it didn't rain last week. I took my mother over that way to get her hair cut and stopped in this morning and there it all was, or at least most of it, so I will go back tonight with the bus and pick it up so I can take it with me in the morning. That'll work better too because it's time to move the Rose of Sharon bush, and it was going to be a squeeze to get it into the car, but in the bus there's all kinds of room. It will indeed be much nicer to work up there once the building is enclosed, and it should be done by Friday, I hope, if the weather forecast stays good. Now I just need to figure out how to get a Delta contractor's saw in through one of the bus doors.

If you want any more Rose of Sharon... I love how they look but can't stand how invasive they tend to be. I have some more I plan on eliminating here on this property.

That's great news on the lumber being ready and available!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I will have to ask my mother, she is the gardener and I am just the helper. If I recall right she said that it doesn't become invasive this far north because it's right on the edge of being too cold. We've had one in the yard here for years that has never spread, anyhow. I'm sorry they're invasive where you are, that is too bad.

They are very "fertile" it seems and the number of volunteers is amazing. Those are also hard to pull out if they get more than a few inches tall...roots grow fast!
    --

I asked my mother and she said it is the cold. She has to be extra careful to keep the bush composted and watered and such in order to keep it happy in this climate. I'm sorry they're invasive where you are. It sounds like they're tough to control.

I came up yesterday and got the bus unloaded and put the siding boards on the other 3 sides of the building. Before that I used the pile of wood to unload the table saw from the bus in two easy steps. The ramps are just 6 extra 2x4s and two 4" screws per side. With the 4 swivel casters it's a bit hard to control on a flat ramp. Tomorrow and Friday I am hoping to get the roof trim and battens put up and install the windows and door, if time permits. Today I worked inside since it was raining most of the time.

Well...it's officially a shop with the table saw moved in!!
    --

Zach,

Your a beast, I love it! You are a highly productive 1 man show.

It's officially a building now, with a door and windows that open and shut (and even lock). The door casing is just rough cut pine for now, but eventually I'll either sand it or put in some hardwood or something. I need to get a threshold to put under the door, too. Then the building will be used as a work/storage/possibly sleeping area while I work on the house, and I'll revive this thread when I get going on insulation, wiring, skirting, wall and roof coverings, etc, in 2 or 3 months at a guess.

Blog Entries
    Wow! Such an achievement, and you are doing a great job!!! Really fun to follow along too
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

Wow...quite a milestone and that looks GREAT! It definitely will be versatile space while you continue your house renovations including for "camping", given you can have cross ventilation with the windows at night. (Hopefully there are screens... )
    --

Thank you both very much. There are indeed screens in the windows, but there are gaps between some of the floorboards as they are drying that would admit an enterprising bug, so I might have to set up my tent inside to sleep in. Black fly season is just around the corner, but luckily they don't stay up after dark and mosquitos aren't going to be a thing up there for a while yet. Once the insulation and upper floor is installed the shop should be bug proof, but I want to let the floor dry out well first.

Now that is very nice! Great to have a dedicated building as a shop.
    Thanks,
    Sal

I finally did a little more work on the shop. I buried 6/3 UF in a 2" PVC conduit because UF from Home Depot in 50' lengths was the cheapest 50 amp wire I could find online or in store anywhere, and I wanted the conduit since the ground is very rocky and full of tree roots up there. I ran 12/2 wire around the walls and put boxes in that will be 4' above the finished floor height. I used 2 gang boxes in the middle of the long walls and single boxes on the ends, with a box every 8 feet of wall all the way around. There is also a 12/2 MC wire to a single box on the ceiling in the center to plug in the rolling work table, and I put 12 octagon boxes on the ceiling joists and bought 12 porcelain lampholders that will get LEDs. The panel is the old 100 amp panel from the house which will be back fed from a 50 amp breaker. I'll also add a 50 amp 3 wire plug so I can plug in the welder near the door and run the leads outside in case I want to weld anything. I certainly can't weld in the shop with the wooden floor, but on the ground should be safe enough and I don't expect to have to weld very often. The inspector approved the rough wiring in the shop and the house last week, so I am clear now to go ahead and start hooking things up. I don't imagine I'll be ready to insulate and such till August or so, as the house is still taking most of my time.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Zachary Hoyt; 07-02-2022 at 9:36 PM.

It's been a long time since I updated this thread, but folks have very kindly answered a lot of questions I had along the way that I posted on the Off Topic forum. I did use the shop to live in on the days I was up here, from May to August. I had a pup tent inside to keep away from the bugs. Once the house was livable and we moved in at the end of August I was able to start working on the interior in between ongoing house projects and building the addition on the house.

The first thing was the floor. I put down 2" XPS foam and LP TopNotch 350 on top of the pine floorboards. I had to move all of the things that were in the shop from the old floor level up to the new one, but with a jack I was even able to move the lumber carts. Then I put 6" of Rockwool in the walls and 8" in the roof, heavy plastic over that and OSB to cover the plastic. It's ugly with all the OSB, but the shop is not meant to express my inner meaning or anything. It's a building where I can build instruments to sell, so it being comfortable, efficient and as cost effective as possible were the priorities.

I used aluminum coil stock to make the skirting since it seemed like it would be durable and quick to install. I was pleased that even when the firewood truck dumped a load for next year the aluminum didn't seem to dent or get bent out of shape by the chunks that slid up against it. There's no framing behind the aluminum, it just goes from the ground on one side to the rim joist on the other. The exception is at the high end where I made two doors from OSB covered with aluminum on the outside. They are hinged at the top so I can get under there to access the ladders and aluminum plank, canoe trailer, and other odds and ends that I put underneath.

The wood stove is working great. I have found that the shop with Rockwool, thicker walls and few windows holds heat a lot better than the house with thinner walls, spray foam and lots of windows. When the temperature has been around freezing in the day and the 20s at night I have only had to make a fire once a day and burn 2-3 pieces of beech, 5" square or smaller. It was windy today and I hadn't made a fire since last night so it got colder in there by the time I went over tonight to light a fire, but not cold enough to worry about the glue freezing.

I put up little shelves under the ceiling joists most of the way along the side walls and have been using them to store all kinds of flattish or smallish things. I am planning to build more shelves, and a lumber rack at some point. Right now I have a lot of sheet goods and lumber that are slated to become parts of the house interior, but I don't intend to keep that much material on hand most of the time in future.

Looks like a good setup that satisfies your needs! And that's what counts the most. Good move on insulating the floor, too. THAT will definitely pay off over time with comfort.
    --