Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Another shop build thread

Yes, in an ideal situation (especially for a residence) heat transfer down below needs to be taken seriously as there is a lot of bridging from the building materials. The same is true for moisture transfer. Since the 2" rigid foam can support a lot of weight, placing it on top of your subfloor and taping prior to installing a floating Advantec working floor will place a break in mechanical bridging which makes for a lot more comfort...even though the actual insulation value is only R-10 or so.

Making wall panels that can hinge open in nice weather is a very nice way to go. You get full wall value insulation in the very cold months and can open up when it's really pleasant.

If you can't or don't want to do gutters, just be sure you are careful in how you design your roof overhangs so that precipitation heads well away from the structure and water doesn't "wrap around" the bottom edge which can cause significant moisture damage, even in a short time period. Were I doing what you are doing, I'd go with a relatively steep roof pitch and use metal roofing so snow slides off easily, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks, that all makes sense about how the insulation works. I hauled the roofing up in the first load in the bus last week, it's green metal and will be on a 6/12 pitch. I always make the metal overhang the furring strips by at least 1/2", and I always cut the ends of the rafters at 90 degrees so the fascia boards are angled rather than vertical, so I haven't had trouble with water wrapping around. The roof will overhang about a foot past the walls. I'll also have to think about whether to insulate the skirting with more foam or just make it from metal or plastic panels or the like.

If you do a heating load calculation you will find that the floor is going to be fine, as Jim says.

No need to insulate the skirting, just make it durable. Will this go on before the siding?

Gutters work fine in New York and even in Toronto and Maine and are an especially good idea on the uphill side at least.

I agree with Tom...no need to insulate the skirting. Just make it sturdy so it blocks as much wind, etc., as possible. Keeping the air under the structure from being exposed and constantly replaced with far colder air will help keep your floors even more comfortable.
    --

I've been thinking about the skirting material, and have wondered about vinyl soffit material or aluminum coil stock. Maybe there's a better answer that I didn't think of. I don't have to worry about the lawn mower throwing rocks at it because I have a push reel and it doesn't do that.

Today I came up again with another load of wood to work on the workshop. It's been a long day since I got up at 5:15 and got on the road just after 6, and up here at 9. There were 3 or 4 inches of heavy wet snow when I arrived, but a lot of it had melted by tonight. I planted some perennial divisions in the snow (which was not ideal but I hope they'll live), finished putting down the floor and got the bus mostly unloaded, and then worked on framing the walls. I got them all up, and the door and two window locations are visible now. I have one more small window that I might put in if it seems too gloomy in there once it's enclosed. The door is mostly glass, so that may help. I got done with the frame just after 7:30, and would have been done soon after 7 except that I met a neighbor who hadn't come by before and spent a while talking with him. Tomorrow the hope is to put up the second top plate on the long walls, then the ceiling joists, and then the ridge plate and rafters if it doesn't rain too much. Friday morning the power company is scheduled to come and hook up the wires to the meter box, unless they are still working on repairing outages from the snow by then. I would like to get the roof on on Friday but will have to see if that is realistic.
    Attached Images Attached Images

You are moving at lighting speed for a one-person-roadshow!!! That's really coming along!
    --

Thanks, Jim, that's very kind of you.

I got part of the roof up today, and all of the ceiling joists, the double top plates and the window headers. It began to rain about 2 so I went inside and put down the subfloor in the kitchen for a few hours, and then went up and nailed up 10 rafters while it was still drizzling, because I had put them on top of the walls and the plank and didn't want to leave them unsecured overnight. I left the deadmen in place overnight to keep things stable if it stays windy, but tomorrow I can put up diagonal braces under the rafters to prevent racking. Today the winds were supposed to be gusting to 35, and it felt like it sometimes.

I'm hoping tomorrow to get the rest of the roof frame up, and maybe the furring strips and the metal if time allows. I need to leave by 5 or so since I'm going home tomorrow night. The bus has developed a bit of an oil leak in a pair of lines just to the front of the oil filter, so I will need to get an appointment at the garage for it next week. I will check the oil often en route, and hope I can keep up with adding it so I can get home.

Totally impressive progress!!!
    --

I didn't get as much done as I had hoped today, but now all but the 2 remaining end rafters are up. They'll go pretty quickly when I get back up there. The forecast for next week looks pretty bleak right now so I don't know when I'll go again, but the nice thing about spring is that the weather is likely to get better with the passage of time. I need to replace or have a shop replace the oil cooler lines, which are where the oil leak is on the bus. I had to stop and check it several times on the way home but all went pretty smoothly. The power guys did come and hook up the lines and put in a meter today, so I am very excited to have real electricity on site. The 12" miter saw runs a lot better on it than on the generator power. I cut all the studs and rafters with the chainsaw since it makes the job go so easily, but once I get to installing siding and trim the electric saws will be better.

I spent 3 days this week in Piercefield and made some progress on the shop building. I got the last 2 rafters, the furring strips and 3/4 of the roof up on Thursday, the rest of the roof and the blocking and siding on the south wall on Friday and the rest of the blocking and the gable end framing today. I brought up a table on wheels that I bought for $3 at a furniture factory auction years ago and it was very handy to put under the saw to make the cuts quicker. Having real electricity on site is very nice. I spent 3 hours vacuuming inside the house today and sucked up well over 200 pounds of mostly plaster fragments and dust, and ran various saws and the power screwdriver and now my meter shows that 3 KWH have been used. I replaced the leaking oil cooler lines last Saturday night, and it took 2 hours or so so it wasn't too bad.

That building is looking very sturdy!!!
    --

Zach. i wish i had your energy. Impressive amount of work done in a short time, especially flying solo.
    Best, Patrick

Thank you both. The rafters are a little extra heavy due to the snow load requirements, and I went with 2x6 on 24" centers for the walls figuring that would give more room for rockwool insulation and reduce thermal bridging slightly over 2x4s on 16" centers.

I sometimes feel like I'm making fast progress, and sometimes I look at what's left to do up there in the next few months and it seems a bit daunting, but as things start to get done it seems more hopeful.

I've had to go back and look at the dates of the posts numerous times to make sure I wasn't seeing things. LOL Amazing speed and energy as stated before. Absolutely amazing. Look forward to seeing the finished building in a 6 or 7 more days.

Once you have the building skinned/dried-in, it will make your life a lot easier since that lets you more easily bounce between it and the house for incremental tasks, especially on the bad weather days. I think you will "feel" that things are moving slower, but only because there's less visual cues than when walls and a roof suddenly appear out of nowhere... ...but in reality, things will continue to chug along as long as you have time to devote to the project
    --