Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Router bit storage

Router bit storage

Hello! I'm going to build a wall cabinet to store a bunch of loose router bits. I was looking for nylon bushings, and the 1/4" ID are pretty easy to find. The 1/2" seem to be a little tougher to find, at least for me. May not be using the right search words. Anyway, has anyone just used 1/2" ID PVC pipe as bushings for your bit storage? The idea just clicked in my head. Good idea, or are there reasons I shouldn't use PVC?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Use a chunk of wood instead of plastic bushings. Just drill holes a bit larger than the diameter of the bits' shanks. Zero cost, and you get to play with wood instead of plastic.

I don't have direction on your question but what's wrong with ply or even wood with 1/4 and 1/2 inch holes (recesses)? Do your bits get stuck or something? If so, just makes the recess a little more shallow.

I use wood too, and it seems to work fine, but I don't use more than a dozen or so different router bits.

If you are looking to use plastic Rockler sells a 10 pack of plastic inserts for router bits. You drill a 5/8 hole and push the insert in. I'm sure they come in both 1/4" and 1/2". Or, as most people do, you can just drill a hole in wood.

Thanks, everyone! Guess I was overthinking it. Thought I might have moisture or expansion/contraction issues with humidity swings in wood. Apparently I worry too much!

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    If you are looking to use plastic Rockler sells a 10 pack of plastic inserts for router bits. You drill a 5/8 hole and push the insert in. I'm sure they come in both 1/4" and 1/2". Or, as most people do, you can just drill a hole in wood.
    I like the Rockler inserts. They hold the bits securely, which works as I store them vertically. Also, I always get OCD about how many of each size of hole to drill, so I like that flexibility of one insert for both sizes. Objectively probably not worth the price premium, but I spend money on more ridiculous things.

Router Bit Storage Inserts

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Varley View Post
    I like the Rockler inserts. They hold the bits securely, which works as I store them vertically. Also, I always get OCD about how many of each size of hole to drill, so I like that flexibility of one insert for both sizes. Objectively probably not worth the price premium, but I spend money on more ridiculous things.

Rockler has a nice selection of gadgets and jigs for woodworkers.

Get a piece of 1/2" PEX pipe and saw off the needed sleeves.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Varley View Post

This.

I made L-shaped shelves and hung them on French cleats. Being able to put 1/4 and 1/2 shanks in the same insert is really handy.

60832867910__6814B020-6697-4E48-8942-7B9826E8FC21.jpg

Blog Entries
    I just drilled some 1/4" and 1/2" holes in the wood shelves.

bit cabinet.jpg
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

I store a lot of my router bits in routers.

I used MDF blocks, but drilled the holes only 1/2" diameter. With a little swelling from humidity, the bits are a little tight to remove. I also suggest making slightly larger holes for the bits. Makes life easier.

The advantage I found in this approach is that I could put Brother labels on each bit cube, stating dimensions of the bit. Helps a lot.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Blog Entries
    I fitted rubberized foam blocks into a tool chest. Works great.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    I store a lot of my router bits in routers.
    LOL, I resemble this remark. A Makita trim router followed me home the other day....not sure if that is 9 or 10 now.