Thread: Is this plane authentic?

Is this plane authentic?

Advertised as a Stanley bedrock 605 C type six. I read that 605C was only type one through four and has three screws in the frog. Seller claims he refurbished but has original japanning. It looks like paint over rust on the front of the plane around the word bedrock. Seller sent me additional pictures which show a corrugated sole but these were not included in the listing.
    does this plane look like the real thing or should I walk away?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Gregg Feldstone

Additional Picture
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Gregg Feldstone

It definitely looks like it is a real plane, whether it is all original parts to that plane I don't know either way. No idea what the seller wants for it, but unless you want it for collectable value all that matters is that it works.

Which gets to the next point, not sure why anyone would pay a premium for a jack plane, given what jack planes are used for. There really isn't anything magical, or for that matter special, about Bedrocks, other than being able to adjust the frog without removing it, which is something that I have never found necessary in 30 years of using planes. If you needed a jack plane at different sets, you probably could pick up a few standard Baileys (or Millers Falls or Sargent, etc) jack planes for the cost of a Bedrock. That is what I did

That looks like the real deal. It has been cleaned up, but sometimes you do that if you want a nice plane. I have one very similar, which came repainted, but so poorly done that I stripped it completely and sprayed it with engine paint. Done thickly, it looks like an original finish.

Note that the Seller DID advertise the corrigated sole. This is evident in the C derivation of #605 C. The C stands for corrigated. Mine is a basic #605, that is, flat sole.

I will post my pics here for you to compare with the one you are looking at. Note that the back of the frog has the three screws, and the frog itself is a bedrock type. The painted toe simply shows paint that has chipped away, and been blackened.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    Type 1 through 4 Bedrock planes had round top sides. (just like the Bailey design)

Type 5 was the first Bedrock planes with flat top sides.

For a Bedrock type study > https://www.antique-used-tools.com/brtypes.htm

Bedrocks were, and still are, a premium plane. More metal to metal contact between the frog and the base. In some situations this may be an advantage.

For a user plane, it would depend on the price being asked for this plane.

To me the Bailey design with the round top is more pleasing. When Bedrocks have come my way at a good price they have been bought and sold for a profit.

Adjusting the frog on a plane usually isn't something folks do. This is especially true if they know how to adjust a chip breaker.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 04-09-2022 at 8:12 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)