Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More evidence of crazy tool market.

More evidence of crazy tool market.

Joliet, IL Facebook Marketplace. Guy claims it is a working plane. Now marked down from $95 to $66.50

Screen Shot 2022-04-08 at 8.37.53 PM.jpg

Oooooh...Kay.....just getting "Broken in"?

Might need a set of Curb Feelers?
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

Give it a new body, and later a new iron and you have a decent plane.

Blog Entries
    Planes like that can actually work.

The quality of work or the comfort of working with it may be off…

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Planes like that can actually work.

The quality of work or the comfort of working with it may be off…

jtk
    The iron might be good too.

I'd offer $4-5.

Even 9-10 years ago I would encounter people selling planes in such condition for $50 or so. The right thing to do is to just make an offer for what it's actually worth: a few bucks. Just because something has a price tag on it doesn't mean it will ever sell at that price, so bid appropriately and educate the seller if he asks why so low. I've done this a few times on ebay with good results and gotten huge "discounts" on things that were obviously mispriced.
    Last edited by Luke Dupont; 04-09-2022 at 2:23 AM.

It's worth it's weight in patina

What kills me are cast iron planes that have a chunk broken off the side and are discounted a mere 10-20% or so. No thanks

Blog Entries
    Just because something has a price tag on it doesn't mean it will ever sell at that price
    It reminds me of a story often told in my youth about a person selling apples during the great depression of the 1930s. He had a box of apples on a corner with a sign that read, "delicious apples one million dollars each."
    A passer by chuckled and said, "your not going to sell many at that price."
    The man said, "I only need to sell one."

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

I've seen people ask way too much for an item often. Most of the time it's because they foolishly think they have something rare.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

I just had an ebay item I came accross arrive in my email, apparently it's still available.
    Vintage Pexto 2" Firmer Socket Chisel Restored

. Asking price $65.09, shipping $11.60
    So for the low, low price of $76.69 , it could be mine.
    Along with the 1 1/4" split in the socket
    split.jpg
    And just in case any of these sellers are reading this, taking a wire whell to something old is not "restoring" it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    I just had an ebay item I came accross arrive in my email, apparently it's still available.
    Vintage Pexto 2" Firmer Socket Chisel Restored

. Asking price $65.09, shipping $11.60
    So for the low, low price of $76.69 , it could be mine.
    Along with the 1 1/4" split in the socket
    [image removed]
    And just in case any of these sellers are reading this, taking a wire whell to something old is not "restoring" it.
    For some reason this reminded me of an experience long ago. I have received a few emails on items that were on my watch list that didn't sell. My interest was seeing if someone was crazy enough to pay the high price listed.

One time it was on an actual item on which I bid. It was an item that already had a bid by someone who always bid items up real high. So kind of having a feel for the person, back then ebay was more revealing of who was bidding than they are now. I kind of had a feel for how high they would bid and bid just under. A friend was watching and thought it should be run up more. My thought was that is already more than it is worth, no way, not one cent. Of course they won. Later they sent me an email and asked if I wanted to purchase it for my last bid. No way.

After that they didn't bid on much, guess they found tool collecting not to be all it was cracked up to be.

jtk

I've seen similar things happen, you do need to be careful and know exactly what you're bidding on. Often times the seller doesn't have a clue what he's selling.

There is a Facebook group that has auctions every weekend. A seller had a starting bid of $310 for a Lie Neilson plane that sells for $265 (in stock) . I got kicked out of they group for breaking the rule on commenting on prices. That's ok, I knew the rules.

As Tom Waits once said..

Hello sucker, we like your money, just as well as anybody else's here
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bukovec View Post
    There is a Facebook group that has auctions every weekend. A seller had a starting bid of $310 for a Lie Neilson plane that sells for $265 (in stock) . I got kicked out of they group for breaking the rule on commenting on prices. That's ok, I knew the rules.
    Often people from other countries will pay more for a used LN or LV tool because the inport taxes are a lot less. In the long run they still get the tool at less than they would have to pay on a new one with import or value added taxes.

jtk

Getting the names and terminology correct is another challenge in the crazy tool market.
    I've seen things listed as lumbar, carpentree and others. I've also found that chisel identification is almost impossible by the listings. It's hard enough if you sort of know what you're doing. Timber frame, firmer and beveled edge are all interchangeable terms, it has no basis on what the tool actually is.
    Here's a recent one.
    "Vintage 2" PS & W CO. Timber Framing Wood Lathe Carving Turning Gouge Chisel (NO HANDLE)"
    lathe tool.jpg
    Now I'm pretty handy with a lathe but I don't think this is a turning tool.