Thread: Electrical power on the bench

Electrical power on the bench

Code question. If a bench has a couple of duplex outlets on it, in outlet boxes, can the bench be fed with a pigtail and plugged into an outlet? Or must it be hard wired?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    Code question. If a bench has a couple of duplex outlets on it, in outlet boxes, can the bench be fed with a pigtail and plugged into an outlet? Or must it be hard wired?
    Not a code guru, but I'm fairly certain what you describe is evaluated as a extension cord.

I'm with Malcolm on this...I would consider it an extension cord for convenience with a "more formal" termination on the bench. I'd use very stout and durable cord material to connect back to the wall outlet for the circuit you want to use.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I'd do a square box and install two receptacles in it. Quad box extension cords are handy.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

I had them all over my shop that way. Using 12 gauge extension cords with a box affixed to one end and plug on the other. Basically an extension cord and home made version of this:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Tower-Manuf...n-Cord/1135915

or

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Yellow-J...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

or

https://www.acmetools.com/klein-powe...644296017.html
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 04-08-2022 at 2:33 PM.

I have a power strip under the top of my rolling bench that holds the belt and spindle sanders, so I can plug it in when I want to but also unplug it and roll it around at other times. I would only want a hard wired setup on a bench that never got moved.

Interestingly, on Wood Whisperer's new bench, he chose to put in a single outlet and used a Marine/RV type that sealed out dust when not in actual use. I presume there is a cord that is used to "plug in the bench", although he didn't detail it.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Are you a one man shop or a business?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    Where I live, flexible cord cannot be used as a substitute for permanent wiring.

If the bench is attached to the shop it’s permanent, if not rough service cab tire is fine, use a suitable box connector.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Where I live, flexible cord cannot be used as a substitute for permanent wiring.

If the bench is attached to the shop it’s permanent, if not rough service cab tire is fine, use a suitable box connector.

That is a NEC rule.

I have a table that bought at auction, was medical related that all the unneeded items was stripped off & a 1 1/8" plywood top with a 1/2' MDF sacrificial over that, used scrap 2X2 aluminum angle to attach Plugmold underneath the plywood top, and a short cord to plug it in, have not used it much because it's been piled high with stuff that needs sorting, bought it for way less then the retractable casters & square tubing it was made of would cost.
    Last edited by Rollie Meyers; 04-08-2022 at 11:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zachary Hoyt View Post
    I have a power strip...
    This is what I use at every work station. The lights for each station are also plugged into the respective power strip.

"Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."