Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Billy Strings

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    Wonder how/why his band has crossover appeal where so many other similarly good bands don't.
    Marketing and exposure done well. I mentioned above that I first heard Billy Strings on Colbert a few months ago. It's not unusual for new acts or old acts with new material to get exposure that way. And "newer" musicians are really working the various media channels, including video on the 'Tube and TikTok really hard these days.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    OK, sampled a bunch of what's on Youtube this morning, and I'm impressed. Pretty straightforward bluegrass and flatpicking, done very well. Wonder how/why his band has crossover appeal where so many other similarly good bands don't.
    Billy Strings has a unique style and sound in addition to the amazing talent. Every show has some straightforward bluegrass and also jams and covers. Last summer and fall most shows included at least a couple of 10+ minute extended jams and one or two grateful dead covers. The atmosphere at the shows is sort of unique too. There is a mix of rednecks, hillbillies, dead heads, millennials, and just plain bluegrass people.