Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Billy Strings

Billy Strings

I'm watching a concert of Doc Watson's music by the Billy Strings band. If you like mountain music it doesn't get much better than this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nk4SWmDbMNI

Thanks for posting that, Kevin. I hadn’t seen that and am looking forward to digging in with this for the next hour +.

Billy Strings is an absolute monster player/songwriter that has taken the bluegrass world by storm that last couple of years. Have you listened to any of his albums / original material? It is revolutionary and I don’t use that term often.

Doc has been a favorite of mine since I started playing guitar 20+ years ago. Spent a lot of years learning to fingerpick and trying to emulate his style (and Tommy Emmanuel / Chet Atkins.) I live within half an hour of his home and have been fortunate enough to see him play several times and even met him a few times before he passed away. What a life he lived!

Last year or so, as part of our nightly bedtime routine, I introduced my youngest son to Doc’s music (he was 3-4 at the time) We spent at least 3 months listening to so many different Doc songs at bedtime, though he had his favorites that we would borderline overplay. His music is part of the curriculum of our family and really happy to see Billy helping to spread it far and wide.
    Still waters run deep.

I've only seen youtube clips of Billy Strings after reading a profile in the New York Times that focused on his tough upbringing. I was glad to find this one as Doc has been a favorite for a long time. I have his first two lps that I inherited from my uncle, including "Gonna lay down my old guitar" that ends this concert. He was a beautiful soul and a fountain of Appalachian roots music. I was fortunate to see him play several times. It's great to see the tradition carried on in such style.

Billy Strings always seems to be on tour so plenty of opportunities to see a live show. Hundreds are available to stream on nugs dot net. Definitely different than a typical bluegrass show.

Thank you, Doc Watson is one of a kind. Good to see a young fella taking it on.

Thanks for sharing the link. I love it.

Blog Entries
    Wow, that young feller has got some busy fingers. Great band.

Billy Strings has been getting a lot of attention lately...a fine bunch of musicians for sure!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Thanks for this Kevin. Doc Watson has been in my music collection since the days when it was all on vinyl.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Have to give it a listen. As more of a traditional bluegrass guy I'm leery of anyone who achieve pop status (Doc certainly never did, was fortunate to see him live dozens of times). Have very mixed experience with other bands in a similar vein-- absolutely love the Infamous Stringdusters, like Railroad Earth, can't abide Greensky Bluegrass or the Punch Brothers.

Roger, we live in a time where a wide variety of genres are getting attention and even airplay that "crosses barriers", especially on non-commercial radio and the 'Tube. I first heard Billy Strings on Late Night with Colbert but then there was airplay on my local non-commercial station.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post
    I'm watching a concert of Doc Watson's music by the Billy Strings band. If you like mountain music it doesn't get much better than this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nk4SWmDbMNI
    Good find, thanks for that!

I've caught Doc Watson a few times when he played in Knoxville, a bunch of years ago.

JKJ

Billy Strings is very talented and versatile: finger picking, flat picking and singing a variety of styles of music.

Here's one of my recent favorites, Billy finger picking and singing an old Dylan tune: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LR-T2qTLF6o

Also, his live performance on stage with Tommy Emmanuel is pretty amazing. Fast forward to the 9:10 mark if you're short on time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zO8IwPbALK4
    Last edited by Dave Bunge; 04-09-2022 at 10:16 AM.

OK, sampled a bunch of what's on Youtube this morning, and I'm impressed. Pretty straightforward bluegrass and flatpicking, done very well. Wonder how/why his band has crossover appeal where so many other similarly good bands don't.