Thread: finishes and fabric contact

finishes and fabric contact

Are there certain finishes that have problems with fabrics like polyester sticking to them even after curing? I am making a quilt rack and I had that problem once before, and once on a table top. I cant recall if it was poly or lacquer. My go to finish is Waterlox, or in this case maybe just shellac, but I'm gun-shy after previous experience. I will give it a long time for curing in any case, but looking for other negative experiences to avoid. Thanks.
    < insert spurious quote here >

Blog Entries
    I am not an expert on this, but it is a real thing. In the instrument world there is discussion of "case print", when the plush lining of a case imparts a texture into the varnish of the item stored inside. I think old fashioned oil varnish is a common offender. Some lacquers are harder than others. Some are quite soft. Deft has a lingering softness. I am fond or Minwax polyurethane. I generally use satin for the residential things that I make and have not had any problems.
    Best Regards, Maurice

I think you would be safe with minwax polyacrylic if a water based finish is acceptable. I have never had problems with water based finishes like I have with oil based finishes. The only time I use lacquer is for surfaces that don't get a lot of direct contact.

Thanks guys. I hadn't thought about a water-based finish - that's a good idea.
    < insert spurious quote here >

Blog Entries
    Just be sure to let the finish cure thoroughly (like weeks) so it reaches full hardness.