Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Platform lift to mezzanine? PIC

Platform lift to mezzanine? PIC

I'm in the process of extending the mezzanine in my shop/barn and was thinking it might be useful to fabricate and install a platform lift. Besides storage the much larger area could be used for lighter and less often used stationary tools like my jig saw, etc. Using a lift to get stuff up to mezzanine might be easier than using the stairs. Has anyone tackled such a project?
    Shop 003.jpg

I think you're looking for something like Jay Bate's elevator project for his workshop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8rGrDSq83c&t=1s

And yes, he's going to die, when it collapses, which will cause the workshop to catch fire, killing his wife and kids, and then drawing the entire state of Mississippi into a rip in the space/time continuum.

583D4113-0016-441F-B119-A3A24CE9CFE9_1_201_a.jpg.....I used two winches and a single cable looped up and down the ladder and through the carriage for stability (one cable with each end connected to a winch drum.

B9CFB71B-CB0A-4A21-A818-FE8B1F39F65B_1_201_a.jpeg 3990C013-DE7D-4C6E-BF3F-C1E9D416855A_1_201_a.jpg34B73F09-341D-4650-87D3-FAE442F9C489_1_201_a.jpg0F400AD5-E06C-4F06-B71B-4F5F5DFCCF2E_1_201_a.jpg

Yes I built one. I use it everyday
    The Plane Anarchist

Not sure if will help, but about 15 years ago, I installed a 4 post car lift in the center bay of my garage. It could lift 9000lbs and go to a height of 6'6" all on 110v.

I extended the lifts surface area using two layer of 3/4" plywood, making an 8' x 16' platform.

On the back wall of my garage, I built a shelf/deck, 6' 3" off the ground, about 4'6" wide x 23' long.

I used the car lift to transfer motorcycles, from the floor, up on to the storage deck. I also used it to store ATV's, Zero Turn lawn mower and motorcycles. It basically gave me a fourth bay.

Here's a video of photos I took along the way.

This is a slideshow of pictures, probably better that the YT video below.
    https://www.mad-ducati.com/SlideShow...N29PzD5mTe2I03

Last edited by ChrisA Edwards; 04-06-2022 at 6:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew More View Post
    I think you're looking for something like Jay Bate's elevator project for his workshop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8rGrDSq83c&t=1s

And yes, he's going to die, when it collapses, which will cause the workshop to catch fire, killing his wife and kids, and then drawing the entire state of Mississippi into a rip in the space/time continuum.
    You beat me to it...I was going to mention Jay's solution. I don't think he'll die, but...it's certainly a light duty solution.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Hey Lawrence-you need to stop feeding those spiders 'roids.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilkins View Post
    Hey Lawrence-you need to stop feeding those spiders 'roids.
    yeah... I know they're big but ya get used to them

I like your shop Lawrence!

To OP, I think most people just use a forklift. They have the benefit of being useable for other stuff too.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    I like your shop Lawrence!
    Thanks Steve. I built the building in 2010, now daize I call the building my Sanctuary.

I seriously thought about doing this when I was building out my workshop. Having 17 foot ceilings, I often look up and say "Boy, I would love to build a loft up there to use the space."

Which part of Jay Bates system do you think is light duty? The winch? The floor/cab?

Having an elevator in my house, I could rant on for days regarding issues with a very high end automatic door elevator. Sadly, they are not without issues either.

I take advantage of the tall ceilings in my workshop by having several 1 ton electric winches installed to help lift some things. For example, my heavy large crosscut sled lives hanging from the ceiling on a hoist, and I have 10 foot ramp that lives hanging from the ceiling to enable large machines to be rolled up from my garage floor to the elevated raised access floor of the workshop. Basically, having learned this in my last shop, I love electric hoists since I have such a bad back. I had seriously looked into installing a bridge crane when I built my shop, but cost and the realization that it could only lift one thing at a time, vs several individual one ton cranes can lift multiple things at once sent me in that direction.

Basically, I'd love an elevator and a loft. Sigh...
    Last edited by Alan Lightstone; 04-08-2022 at 8:11 AM.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

My shop has attic trusses and is therefore for light storage only. I cut a bay out of the 2’oc trusses. It pretty much ended up 22x48”. A winch mounted above at the peak and a separate lift platform. I don’t use it often, but it works well for me. Your mezz is a properly built structure and has capacity. I think for your place I’d be looking at a trolley system with rails up at the peak that you can roll out to lift and roll in once up to the level.

I found another build for an elevator lift that's similar, but he added some homemade safety features. Looks very Rube Goldberg, but could be very effective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgdsamzPN8w
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKfYjWBLKis

And, there's this video of an elevator lift fail. Ouch:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-EQMigvmYs
    Last edited by Alan Lightstone; 04-08-2022 at 9:20 AM.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off

don't some of these winches have built in brakes for safety?

Alan...I've been thinking about putting an elevator in our home. We have a "Panic" room in the basement and the layout for getting there would be ideal. The last time we had a tornado warning the sirens went off and we got an all clear by the time my wife fixed her hair and put on her makeup, I could put a dressing table down there too.
    Last edited by Lawrence Duckworth; 04-08-2022 at 9:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence Duckworth View Post
    don't some of these winches have built in brakes for safety?

Alan...I've been thinking about putting an elevator in our home. We have a "Panic" room in the basement and the layout for getting there would be ideal. The last time we had a tornado warning the sirens went off and we got an all clear by the time my wife fixed her hair and put on her makeup, I could put a dressing table down there too.
    Tornado warning here yesterday. About 10 miles or less north of us. Does get your attention.