Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suprise this morning

Suprise this morning

When I went out to feed the horses this morning one mare was acting odd, frantically running up and down a fence line, whinnying and carrying on, wasn't even interested in her food. Very strange.

In walking around the outside of the pasture I found a new baby horse by the beehives! Must have rolled underneath the fence in the middle of the night, sometime soon after birth.
    I bought this horse last summer and had no idea she was expecting. She was thin and we had her on a special nutrition diet to put on weight but I, the vet, a horse expert, and the farrier didn't suspect. In retrospect we all should have.

When I coaxed the foal around the fence and into the round pen the mother seemed SO relieved, immediately relaxed. Seems like an excellent mother, attentive and protective but not the least aggressive.

horse_Secret_2.jpg

We named her Secret. Her mother is named Whisper.

This is the second time this has happened. A few years ago I took in a rescue alpaca who presented us with a surprise baby.

baby_alpaca_dria_IMG_0844.jpg

JKJ

What a nice surprise!

that's a nice surprise for sure!

Wow...congratulations! What a pleasant surprise for sure! Perfect name, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

A great surprise and applicable excellent names! Cool!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

John, I really enjoy your posts about your animals.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the great story to make my my morning.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

John with all the animal husbandry and farm work you do, where do you have time to do woodworking? And you are always taking time to offer helpful knowledge here on SMC! Either you don’t sleep or you are the most efficient guy on the planet, making the rest of us look like slackers.😇

That's awesome! Thanks for sharing that story.

Nice looking foal!

Wow, guess you could say nice score!! 2 for the price of one. Really nice looking foal, great markings like its mom!
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Is the mare nursing the baby okay now?

Could be missed by anyone , how many times have we heard Andy Devine say, “well I don’t know where the horses are . I left the horses
    right over there…”. Some say the word “foal” is the old way of saying “fold”, folding is how the mom keeps them a secret. Congratulations ,
    enjoy !

So cool! Congrats!

Great story John. Very glad that baby is safe and sound!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”