Thread: Hegner polymax 3 scrollsaw

Hegner polymax 3 scrollsaw

I have the opportunity to buy a Hegner polymax three scroll saw made in 1986. I will attempt to show a picture of it ,which in my opinion shows the machine in great condition except for that the large plastic pulley has disintegrated. does anyone know how expensive this might be to replace? I am not sure the size of this machine yet but when I looked up the model it seems like they are supposed to be 20 inches and that this is the professional/industrial model.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Gregg Feldstone

It looks like an air bellows that has disintegrated, not a pulley.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Indeed, the air bellows, which blows dust from the cut as you saw, has disintegrated. I suspect a replacement is available. I have the multimax 18 and quite like it; mine was $350 used 12 years ago.
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

The bellows is about $50 from Advanced Machinery.

Blog Entries
    As others have stated, that disintegrated plastic part is not a pulley, it is the bellows for the sawdust removal. They appear to be available from Advanced-Machinery.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 04-06-2022 at 7:27 AM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

They are asking $650 for the machine and yes I realize that is the bellows. They said it runs OK and are supposed to send me a video. I’m just not sure about spending that much for a 36 year old machine even though they go for so much today. What do you guys think? Thanks
    Gregg Feldstone

If you need that much of a machine, 20% of current price for new seems like a fine deal.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregg Feldstone View Post
    They are asking $650 for the machine and yes I realize that is the bellows. They said it runs OK and are supposed to send me a video. I’m just not sure about spending that much for a 36 year old machine even though they go for so much today. What do you guys think? Thanks
    Based on this site where there are a number of Hegner saws for sale, the saw is overpriced. I also found several scroll saw sites where newer saws were selling for less than this 36 year old saw. Price out the cost of a new motor and see what it might cost if the current motor fails. Just because that is what they are asking doesn't mean that is what they will accept. If you really want the saw, walk in with cash in hand point out the cost for repairing the bellows and anything else it might need and offer $450. Don't be afraid to negotiate the price for their 36 year old machine.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 04-07-2022 at 8:31 AM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I agree with Lee. $650 is too expensive for that saw. I had a Hegner and ordered parts from Advanced Machinery - no problem. Hegner has a good reputation.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.