Thread: Veritas fore plane question

Veritas fore plane question

I have large hands and the totes on my Veritas bevel-up and custom planes fit my hands well. The tote on the Veritas "fore" plane looks different, however. Can I use a full-fisted grip on that plane, too?

05P2871-veritas-6-fore-plane-pm-v11-u-02-r.jpeg
    - Jason White
    YouTube.com/UncleJasonsWorkshop

That handle looks designed to be gripped with three fingers and thumb, with the index pointing forward.

I have the 5 1/4w plane which has (what looks to be) the same size tote as that fore plane. I have larger than average hands and can wrap 4 fingers around it just fine

Thanks, Justin!

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Allen View Post
    I have the 5 1/4w plane which has (what looks to be) the same size tote as that fore plane. I have larger than average hands and can wrap 4 fingers around it just fine

I have large hands (the tote on my LN #4 is a bit too small to be quite comfortable with a "regular" grip), and my Veritas #4 (which looks like the same tote design as the #6) has plenty of room and is very comfortable to hold. I wouldn't swear to it, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's more hand space than my bevel-up jack – the tote is a bit elevated above the body of the plane because of the Veritas frog/tote combo design. I've never used the #6, but the one thing I do find with my #4 is that it is a bit more tippy than other planes when used along an edge because of the relatively high centre of gravity. YMMV, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Rafael Herrera View Post
    That handle looks designed to be gripped with three fingers and thumb, with the index pointing forward.
    I thought this was the usual way of gripping a plane, no?

Yep, because you'll need that extended finger to adjust things on the fly....depth or laterals.

On the larger bench planes I have...the tote rests on a raised boss...And, I can rest my pinky finger right alongside that boss.

While you are at it....what sort of grip do you use on the front knob? Hmmm?
    THE Grip, front view.JPG
    fingers rest on top of the knob, while.
    THE Grip, Rear view.JPG
    The thumb does the pushing

And..your grip?
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Brodersen View Post
    I thought this was the usual way of gripping a plane, no?
    The bevel ups are complete grip. Seemed like the op was expecting the same of the plane in his picture. Unless I'm planing rough boards, I push the plane, I don't need to grip the handle fully or very hard. My hand doesn't quite fit my no. 3s, in that case I just wrap my hand around the handle,the action is similar as when using a coffin smoorher.

Quote Originally Posted by Rafael Herrera View Post
    The bevel ups are complete grip.
    I see, I've never used a bevel up plane and didn't realize this. Thanks for that

FYI I bought the Veritas fore plane and it fits my giant hands perfectly! Full four-finger grip.