Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just a measurement rambling

When I'm measuring to cut slots in a fretboard I have inches measured to three decimal places, but in reality I round the last digit, and the fret slot is .023" wide. I have a ruler marked in hundredths (actually there's a line every 2/100) and now I use an old magnifying lamp I bought at a yard sale last year to see the marks better. For some other things I have to be accurate to a 32nd or less, but a lot of the details are flexible.

I am usually making my own plans, and unless the piece is very simple I'm not sure how you avoid having fractions smaller than 1/16. This is usually driven by a desired reveal, or clearance between sliding components, the need to center one part upon another, to evenly space items, etc. I don't set out to make a part be 39 23/32" or whatever but it's just what ends up happening, especially with multiple doors or drawer openings.

I find 32nds ok to work with and sufficient for most nominal design dimensions. I don't bother much with 64ths. At that point I switch to decimal inches, and it wouldn't be noted on plans, just left to fit in the shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Interesting question Phil.

I think 1/32” is a bit fine for woodworking dimensions, that said I design in metric for the most part and use 1mm increments as the smallest design measurement, however I often find myself using design dimensions in 2mm increments to simplify everything.

Regards, Rod

P.S. For example a leg in Imperial might be 2” square, so I make it 50 mm, likewise 3/4” thick material becomes 20mm. For accuracy I normally use +/- 0.1mm for furniture, a lot more for a fence��
    Too bad we didn't fully convert to metric way back in the 80s I believe.

Blog Entries
    Metric certainly has advantages. I have always enjoyed Bicycles and working on Bicycles. I started out on USA one piece crank bikes and old school USA BMX bikes. Our son got the bike bug and is making a career of it. He will not allow me to talk Imperial at all regarding bikes.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Yea, there's nothing left that's imperial on bicycles. Thankfully.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Blog Entries
    Most Ball bearings are Imperial even on Italian and French bikes. Ball bearings are also becoming a thing of the past.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    Most Ball bearings are Imperial even on Italian and French bikes. Ball bearings are also becoming a thing of the past.
    I haven't used a hub or bottom bracket that's used them in over a decade now.

I'm assuming you're talking loose ball bearings. Not sealed unit bearings.
    name a single imperial tool used though. Last one I threw away was a 9/16" pedal wrench.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    I haven't used a hub or bottom bracket that's used them in over a decade now.

I'm assuming you're talking loose ball bearings. Not sealed unit bearings.
    name a single imperial tool used though. Last one I threw away was a 9/16" pedal wrench.
    Yes, loose balls or the ones in cage retainers. My language and bikes continue to be antiquated. It is helpful to be getting a handle on Metric in the auto parts store too.
    Best Regards, Maurice

For thickness I think it has as much to do with material yield as anything. Any lumber I buy to a nominal size is usually on the low side of the allowable tolerance. For example If I need an actual 1/2" thickness I have to buy 3/4" and mill it down. If I resaw 4/4 wood I still have to mill it and wind up with less than 1/2". Usually 15/32" or 7/16". That being the case I always design for 1/32" to 1/16" under nominal for a finished thickness.

If you're using S4s or S2S lumber the same can hold true for widths. In Phil's example above I suspected the table width started out 17 3/4" after glue up and lost 1/16" from edge planing.

Sometimes lengths wind up to be odd sizes too. An example would be when you're trying to hold the outside dimensions of a box or case to an even 1/8" increment but you have to fit pieces in the interior and the thickness of the exterior parts is undersize per the first example above.

Or, the guy/gal drawing the plans is showing off.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Boat plans are often out to 1/32 or 1/64 inch. My next boat is going to be metric. I don't mind converting quarters and eighths and sixteenths in my head, but that is my limit. One millimeter, about 1/25 of an inch, no fractions, ought to be a fine looking boat when it is finished.

Blog Entries
    Scott Winners, I hope you post about your boat project.
    Best Regards, Maurice