Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New books by dead authors

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Ragatz View Post
    I think in Robert B. Parker's case, his estate has turned over each individual franchise (Spenser, Jesse Stone, etc.) to a different author. I've read a couple of the Spenser books by Ace Atkins, and I think they're pretty good, but not as good as Parker's own. I think all of these are billed as "Robert B. Parker's (insert title here)" by Ace Atkins. But Atkins's name is in much small type than Parker's.

James Patterson, who is still alive and writing solo works, has co-authored a ton of books with others. I gather this is a combination of money-making and helping newer writers develop a market for their work.

The last couple of books I've read in Lee Child's Jack Reacher series have been co-authored with Child's son, Andrew. I assume Andrew is expected to take over the franchise at some point.
    The Parker thing is also true of Ian Fleming. I think they're on at least the third generation of replacement authors.

The Jack Reacher series is indeed being handed off to Child's younger brother Andrew. We'll see how that goes, at least they're working together for awhile before the changeover.

I've read one of Patterson's "ampersand" books...never again. And forum rules prevent me from expressing my opinion of the various Dune prequel/sequel series by Frank Herbert's son.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    Clive Cussler recently passed, but many of his books are "with" a co-author, including his son, Dirk. By writing style and story line they all have the Cussler style. Wondering how much input Cussler or Patterson or other best selling authors have in the books "with" others? Do they outline the storyline?

I've been a long time fan of all the Clive Cussler series and I've been reading the newer co-authored books as they came out. On a lark I went back and read one
    originally written by Clive and published in 1988. Wow, what a difference. The new stuff is a pale thin shadow of the original great writing he used to do.

Blog Entries
    I tried an Arthur Cannon Doyle inspired Sherlock Holmes story, The Red Demon, By Larry Millett. It is OK, an enjoyable read, but not the real Sherlock Holmes.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    Most books in these "best seller" genres are so formulaic that it's not surprising that any number of people can write passable versions, I'm surprised they don't just have a computer cranking them out.
    I once speculated that most romance novels were computer-generated...this was in the early 1980's. (My ex-wife consumed them by the bushel, maybe 6-8 a week.)

Googling "ai writing romance novels" makes for some interesting reading all by itself.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    I tried an Arthur Cannon Doyle inspired Sherlock Holmes story, The Red Demon, By Larry Millett. It is OK, an enjoyable read, but not the real Sherlock Holmes.
    Is Arthur Cannon Doyle any relation to Calamity Jane Austin?
    (https://richardhartersworld.com/austin/)

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    Most books in these "best seller" genres are so formulaic that it's not surprising that any number of people can write passable versions.
    I agree. That's a big reason I stopped reading Tom Clancy. Loved his first 2 books, but by the third one he was just too "cookie cutter" to hold my interest.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    I once speculated that most romance novels were computer-generated...this was in the early 1980's.
    Shouldnt be hard to do. From what I can tell, they seem to all go about like this:
    "She saw him. They locked eyes. He tore off her bodice, etc. He beat the bad guy. He tore off her clothes (again). She was happy ever after."
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Mark Twains last book was published about 100 years after his death. I have a first edition. I believe it was published by UC Berkeley press. His papers are in a collection at UC Berkely. They used to have every newspaper he published when he was working in Nevada. They microfilmed them and tossed hundreds of tons of actual paper.
    Bill D
    Bill have you ever visited Hannibal? Lot's of Mark Twain related stuff. Also the birth place of the "Unsinkable Molly Brown".

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    Bill have you ever visited Hannibal? Lot's of Mark Twain related stuff. Also the birth place of the "Unsinkable Molly Brown".
    I have been to his cabin on jackass hill. Very unimpressive. Looks like a stud garage with wood siding with a stone firepalce on one end. I think it burned and was totally rebuilt twice.
    Bill D

http://cali49.com/hwy49/2013/10/25/jackass-hill
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    The Mark Twain Birth place museum in Florida MO looks neat. Our family's annual summer regatta is at Mark Twain lake. A swimming beach we frequent is just below the museum. I keep wanting to go in but forget to dress for it. I am always shirtless and shoeless in honor of Tom and Huck. It is a nice lake and not too far from Hannibal.

Arrow Rock MO is neat too. The town is more or less as it was when it was rehabbed to be the set for the 1973 film Tom Sawyer. My best friends dad was the "Historical and Literary Content Advisor". We visited the production several times. The sisters were extras and appear in a few scenes. It was a very fun summer!
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 04-14-2022 at 10:53 AM.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I have been to his cabin on jackass hill. Very unimpressive. Looks like a stud garage with wood siding with a stone firepalce on one end. I think it burned and was totally rebuilt twice.
    Bill D

http://cali49.com/hwy49/2013/10/25/jackass-hill
    I think you would find the different memorabilia around Hannibal more pleasing. Including the cave and also a neat little river boat excursion/dinner cruise.

Blog Entries
    Hannibal is indeed charming. There is Lovers Leap to see as well. Some of the family go every year To torture themselves by running up the big hill.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    Hannibal is indeed charming. There is Lovers Leap to see as well. Some of the family go every year To torture themselves by running up the big hill.
    If I'm caught running up that hill you better look to see what's chasing me. On the other hand I spent countless hours working below Lovers Leap on equipment on the tracks. Many years ago the road at the base of the cliff was the old highway 79. I believe that it was taken the current route in the 60's.