Thread: Foam ceiling tiles , fire resistant?

Foam ceiling tiles , fire resistant?

How do "foam" ceiling tiles meet building codes that govern the fire resistance of ceilings? Are the tiles themselves fire resistant - or does fire resistance depend on the drywall or other material under them?

I'm talking about this type of ceiling tile: https://www.amazon.com/Maison-Ceilin...76&sr=8-5&th=1

Right down in the Q&Q, they state they are not fire resistant. Embossed metal might be a better solution when it comes to fire concerns. IMHO, of course...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Armstrong makes fire resistant ceiling tiles. You will also have to use a fire resistant grid system. Whether they will meet code or not really depends on what rating you need to achieve. This will be based on your building use. Best bet is to talk to your building inspector.. From many years doing construction management this is always your best bet.
    Some Blue Tools
    Some Yellow Tools
    A Grizzly Collection
    ShapeokoXL
    Blue and White 50 Watt

I remember the mass deaths at a club that has non fire resistant tiles.
    Bill D.

235 dead that one I do not remember.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-b...90U1F220130131

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_St...nightclub_fire

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I remember the mass deaths at a club that has non fire resistant tiles.
    Bill D.

235 dead that one I do not remember.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-b...90U1F220130131

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_St...nightclub_fire

That was not foam tiles, was just flammable foam used for acoustical purposes that led to that tragedy, there are foam ceiling tiles that I look as gasoline in solid form, get hot enough & it drips down on people leading to things that make me shudder. I seriously doubt they comply with any model code out there.

Yes they do make fire rated tile/grids. Having recently retired from the design industry, I have seen many of them but they have major issues if future work above the ceilings are not strictly inspected. The tiles had to be clipped to the ceiling grid. Typically the reason for ceiling tiles is maintain easy access to above ceiling. Sadly, most service people or contractors fail (or ignore) the ceiling is rated and do not reinstall all the hold down clips after they complete thier work, thus leaving it a non-UL listed installation. I can't count the number of times I have seen maintanance staff (I.T.) or contractors blow openings through rated walls/floors/ceilings and not properly seal them.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Damon View Post
    Yes they do make fire rated tile/grids. Having recently retired from the design industry, I have seen many of them but they have major issues if future work above the ceilings are not strictly inspected. The tiles had to be clipped to the ceiling grid. Typically the reason for ceiling tiles is maintain easy access to above ceiling. Sadly, most service people or contractors fail (or ignore) the ceiling is rated and do not reinstall all the hold down clips after they complete thier work, thus leaving it a non-UL listed installation. I can't count the number of times I have seen maintanance staff (I.T.) or contractors blow openings through rated walls/floors/ceilings and not properly seal them.
    I've had to deal with those fire rated t-bar ceilings, but I've never seen foam tiles in them. They're either gypsum board or a fiber composition. I cannot believe they were ever given approval because they never stay fire rated and no one with an ounce of common sense would ever believe they would. They are terrible things and everyone who has ever had to deal with them hates them.

Things are changing with how fire penetrations are dealt with though. Fire caulk is always something that is in our toolbox & every penetration gets sealed up after. It's something that is watched closely by inspectors and building operators. The worst offenders are the guys that install low voltage cables for security and telecom systems. Those clowns just run cable every which way, laying right on the t-bar, bashing holes in partitions, and generally leaving things a huge mess.

With reference to the original question, I'm not asking about tiles that are held in a metal grid. I'm asking about tiles that are glued or nailed onto a solid substrate like plywood or drywall. For example, in my location, ceilings mostly made of drywall often have an attic access "trapdoor" made of plywood in them. It would be interesting to decorate such trapdoors with ceiling tiles.

When I worked for a ceiling company we installed lots of fire rated grid. The grid is made to lock the tile in when there is a fire no clips were needed we would use clips when there was windy areas of the ceiling like vestibules or covered sidewalks

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Tashiro View Post
    How do "foam" ceiling tiles meet building codes that govern the fire resistance of ceilings? Are the tiles themselves fire resistant - or does fire resistance depend on the drywall or other material under them?

I'm talking about this type of ceiling tile: https://www.amazon.com/Maison-Ceilin...76&sr=8-5&th=1
    I can't speak to the fire-resistance aspects, but the esthetics suck. I had some samples of the similar stuff Home Depot sells, and the foam ones are terrible.

They also had molded thin plastic ones that were somewhat better. Ordered up enough to do the dining room, and started the install...big mistake. Unless the drywall/plaster/whatever on your ceiling is absolutely perfect, you can see every seam and ripple, even things that don't show in flat drywall primer. Not to mention that the recommended adhesive is about as effective as a 50-50 mix of toothpaste and peanut butter. (And no, you can't use Liquid Nails, it dissolves the plastic. I assume the foam ones would fare no better.) Gave up after the first row and the first tile on the second...at least they were returnable.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

If you need ceiling tile don't do the big box store c**p go to a ceiling company they are going to be about the same price and better quality.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    If you need ceiling tile don't do the big box store c**p go to a ceiling company they are going to be about the same price and better quality.
    That's for sure. there are some very interesting and attractive patterns available. They can also get very expensive for best, high relief tiles.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    What exactly is crap about the ceiling tiles they sell at big box stores? My employer's production plant was remodeled with new low end ceiling tiles in 2015 and they don't appear to be any different than what you get at a big box store. Some of them are out for work right now so I looked at one of them. They don't seem to be any different than what you buy at a big box and I am reasonably certainly they didn't come from a big box.

The ceiling tiles in our leased office space were installed in 2015 also. They are very nice and I am certain they cost three or four times as much as the ones in our production plant. I wouldn't have the slightest clue where to find a ceiling company. It isn't like I can open up a Yellow Pages to the ceiling section.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    What exactly is crap about the ceiling tiles they sell at big box stores? My employer's production plant was remodeled with new low end ceiling tiles in 2015 and they don't appear to be any different than what you get at a big box store. Some of them are out for work right now so I looked at one of them. They don't seem to be any different than what you buy at a big box and I am reasonably certainly they didn't come from a big box.

The ceiling tiles in our leased office space were installed in 2015 also. They are very nice and I am certain they cost three or four times as much as the ones in our production plant. I wouldn't have the slightest clue where to find a ceiling company. It isn't like I can open up a Yellow Pages to the ceiling section.
    You can google ceiling companies or if you have a phone book like you said you can open it up to ceiling. I live out in the country and there are 4 ceiling suppliers with in 20 miles of me. If you check the grid you will see a difference along with the tile. USG tile comes in several different grades.
    Last edited by Jerome Stanek; 04-14-2022 at 2:04 PM.