Thread: Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

4 Apr 2022

Greetings,
    It's been a busy week but I did get some time in the shop this past week. Made decent progress on the queen bed project, finished the reclaimed cypress barn door project, started a new project of a cabinet top for a computer desk out of the same old reclaimed cypress for the same buddy of mine. I'm also learning how to manage my time better as the older I get the slower I get.....and that means the less I get done in a week's time due to the day job taking more time than I imagined. Still really liking the new job, the new boss and the team I'm working with. All awesome people!

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past week?

Best of weeks to you all!
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

'Glad you had a great week, Dennis!

This past week I made the final decision on the building type for my shop building and signed a contract for the same...in a few months, there will hopefully be a nice 24x36x10 post frame building in our back yard ready for all the interior work so I can get back to some "productive" woodworking later this year. The permit application will go in as soon as I receive the engineered drawings and hopefully the engineering firm that does our jurisdiction's zoning/building approvals will be as expedient as they have been for two previous, albeit smaller, permitted projects. I also did some CAD/CAM work for some CNC stuff I need to cut for a friend...a bit of work because the vector drawings I was provided were not anywhere close to useable as-is.

Today is the only day this week that is rain free, so a bunch of outdoor things were in the cards including learning how to use my new rotary laser. On the rainy days, I'll try to get that work done for my friend ... some actual shop time for that ... and see what else transpires. The house next door will be demolished in a few months and my neighbor from down the street (a contractor) who owns it offered all the #1 pine molding stock I want out of it. Some is already stacked and I can go in at any time to pry out more. That will give me a bunch of nice 1-by stock to use for things like French cleats once the shop is up. Chris (the guy) is working to get anything salvageable or recyclable out prior to the structure coming down. While the original intent was to rehab it, many decades of neglect has caused way too much damage and that combined with improper loading and low headroom in areas that really can't be changed has eliminated any chance of rehab. So it will come down and the lot will get sold for a "pretty penny" for someone to build new.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I finished trimming out our entry hall and main hall. I also added a receptacle in a place where one was needed, and changed out a couple other ones that were back stabbed like all the others in the house once were. I've replaced most of them but missed these until now. I know which ones I've changed because I install them with the ground "up" (the proper way, IMO). I still have to hang the closet doors, and then take them down again for staining and poly, and will paint the inside of the entry door. Otherwise those hallways are done. I have another hallway to the garage to do yet, but it will wait until after Easter. I've now switched to cleanup mode and, like Jim, will work outside as soon as the weather permits. I set up the seed starting rack in the basement and Mary got her pepper and tomato seeds planted. She started earlier last year and the seedlings were ready before the outside was! So she held off a couple of weeks this year. And...I got a pretty good start on the taxes...should finish them up tonight.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--