Thread: A Fruitless Hunt for Rust

Blog Entries

A Fruitless Hunt for Rust

Yesterday seemed like a decent day to get out for a ride and visit some antique shops we haven't visited in a long while.

We went to Centrailia, WA. One of the shops that was listed as being open on Sundays was closed. One of the people in the other stores told me they were somewhat hit or miss on being open.

Candy found a few things she liked.

There was one plane that almost got me to purchase it, a Stanley #5 as if another one of those was needed. This one was a type 3. It was carried around a bit while thinking about it. After a close inspection it was found the frog was repaired. That was the problem with type 3 planes. The design allowed one frog for all sizes of planes from a #3 to a #8.

It didn't work and was a short lived type between 1872 & 1873. It was priced where a few bucks might have been made by stripping it down for parts, but someone else can do that.

It was kind of fun looking at things. One shop had a few old Yankee 2100 braces, one with a patent date on the chuck. Priced at $65 & $40 both had 10" sweep.

Got in some looking and a little chatting then drove back home.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 04-04-2022 at 10:22 AM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

My last few hunts have been unsuccessful as well. I've been looking for a good user #5 for the last year. I've had six over the years but gave them away or sold them. It used to be there were so many you had to be careful to not to trip over them. Stanley made millions of these during the 115 years of US domestic production. Lately they're scarce as Kosher bacon. The ones I've been able to find are junk and/or priced like they're some sort of gilded heirloom.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Most of the time my infrequent rust hunts come up empty but recently I won a local estate online auction, and I think I got lucky. In the auction there were some photos of a couple of boxes and 3 dusty and a bit rusty planes. One of them had the vague markings of a Stanley type 11, a Miller Falls , a Sargent autoset with an aluminum handle. So I took a chance, made a bid and almost immediately regretted it, why do i want more projects

But then,

For $51 I got a
    Stanley #3C (I'd been considering a #3 plane) there's some pitting on the blade, to use it I'll probably need to remove about 3/4" of the blade so I'm thinking about replacing it)

Miller Falls #9 (#4)

Sargent 710 with an aluminum handle that instantaneously sucks all of the warmth out of my hand.

and a couple of surprises
    a S.Hawes patent warrented framing square w/ engraved increments
    a Sargent L?4 framing square w/ engraved increments

The big surprise was a Stanley 45 with a box of cutters

and some other stuff

There's some rust on the planes, and they need some work but I think they'll make good users, well, maybe not the 710 with that handle.

auction win tool group ver 2 .jpg
    Last edited by Mike Soaper; 04-05-2022 at 4:32 PM.
    Hobbyist woodworker
    Maryland

$10 +sales tax..
    Steel plane.jpg
    Steel Price.jpg
    Steel Sole.jpg
    Steel cutter.jpg
    And someone had been using a hammer to adjust the cut....dumb.
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

Blog Entries
    The big surprise was a Stanley 45 with a box of cutters
    You could likely double your investment on that alone.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)