Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anybody here live on a golf course ?

Thanks for all the encouragement. We layed out the hazard areas today, will start the seed bed prep for the very expensive native wildflower and grasses seed tomorrow. Looking forward to seeing my native meadow come to life. Bermuda seed goes down late May. The green comes next year.

My cousin bought a house that backs onto a golf course. After the first year the insurance agent called and cancelled the broken window and tile roof insurance portion.
    Bill D

To answer your first question...we moved to a house on a course about 18 months ago. It's on the side of a tee box, so we don't get balls hit into our yard.

But we do have people milling around, waiting to hit their shot. It's maybe 40 feet from the lot line to the tee. So, we can hear them and they can hear us. The worst is some of the comments when I'm grilling. If I hear one more "What time will it be ready?" it will be too soon. We will look into some screening, perhaps a tall hedge.

The course is closed from Nov - mid April, so that's great!

I knew those things going into the purchase. Otherwise, it's a great house.

Blog Entries
    The worst is some of the comments when I'm grilling. If I hear one more "What time will it be ready?" it will be too soon.
    Yell back, "It will be done when you take three strokes to get out of the sand trap on the 7th hole." (or other hole depending on where you are on the course)

This will jinx enough of them they will spread the word about the guy grilling in his back yard casting sand trap spells to wise butt golfers.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

And if you live next to a tee, you won't get hit with golf balls, but trust me, you will here a lot of obscenities after poor shots.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    And if you live next to a tee, you won't get hit with golf balls...
    --you haven't seen ME golf...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Blog Entries
    And if you live next to a tee, you won't get hit with golf balls
    Having been a caddy at one time I can tell you that is no defense against someone with a wicked hook or slice.

One time standing behind a golfer addressing his ball, his shot hit me ~30 yards away. He seemed mad at me because it gave his ball a terrible lie and he would have been better off if his ball had gone out of bounds.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

A friend bought a house with 30 acres and a DIY golf course on it. The previous owner had a donation box to help defray the cost of the up keep. The local golf course had him (the previous owner) shut down because they believed it took away from their profits. Just something to look into/consider.
    Last edited by Michael Schuch; 04-08-2022 at 9:06 PM.

No...but I did pass out in a cow pasture once...
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Yell back, "It will be done when you take three strokes to get out of the sand trap on the 7th hole." (or other hole depending on where you are on the course)

This will jinx enough of them they will spread the word about the guy grilling in his back yard casting sand trap spells to wise butt golfers.

jtk

We're considering putting a 'Swear Jar' at the edge of our property. Partly as a joke. But it's the older (60+) people that do most of the cussing. Women are as bad as the men.

It's entertaining watching them rolling up in the carts. Choosing a club form their $1000 set, take out their visual distance finder, take 5 practice strokes.........

....and then barely hit it to the ladies tee.

Quote Originally Posted by Clifford McGuire View Post

It's entertaining watching them rolling up in the carts. Choosing a club form their $1000 set, take out their visual distance finder, take 5 practice strokes.........
    There is no shortage of players in pretty much any "sport" that think that buying a bunch of gadgets is going to compensate for their lack of ability. Manufacturers love the money they make selling all those gadgets.

True enough Brian. Woodworkers are not immune from that "disease."
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    --you haven't seen ME golf...
    I played golf years ago with some friends that were just getting into the game. One guy teed off, and the ball went straight right....BEHIND all the people on the driving range and into the pond on the other side. He must have it it 10 yards forward and 100 yards straight right.

The course I grew up playing on had houses along some of the holes, and there was no shortage of CRRRRRACCKKKs as someone would pull one off the tee and smack a house. Most people had impact glass on the windows that faced the course. I did see one guy hit a ball that went into someones garage, as they had their door open. I don't know if it did any damage to anything in there.