Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gluing Brass To Wood.

Gluing Brass To Wood.

Yet another failure of bonding brass to Ebony. This is the third and final strike. The first attempt was with using Gorilla Glue clear to bond .005" brass to Ebony. The second attempt was using System Three 15 minute epoxy and .010" brass and curing for 6 hours. The third and final attempt was the same System Three 15 minute on .016" brass and 24 hours of cure time, same failure.

All attempts were made sanding both the Ebony & the brass to 150 grit and cleaning all surfaces with acetone or denatured alcohol. There is no problem with either the Gorilla Glue or System Three bonding to the Ebony but with only light to moderate pressure the brass pulls off easily. I won't attempt a fourth time but curious as to what others have used for a successful bond.

G1.jpg
    Last edited by Dale Osowski; 04-03-2022 at 6:38 PM.
    DJO Furniture Maker / Timberwerks Studio

I also have found ebony difficult to glue.
    I’ve tried to glue ebony to ebony and eventually see a glue line.
    All the pva glues creeped epoxy was the best but very brittle.
    I have not tried old brown glue or hide.
    Good Luck
    Aj

Have you tried superglue? Yesterday I accidently glued a cutoff from some baseboard to my mitersaw talble with a drop of Fastcap thick CA glue and didn't notice it until today. When I pulled off the wood off, the wood gave way, not the superglue stuck to the aluminum.

I tend to agree, ca glue may work...I know in the guitar industry we use it to glue all sorts of inlay materials including metals to ebony and it works well...I don't know about hide glue... probably good wood to wood but I don't know about metal. Can't hurt to try

I think a polyurethane glue, like the original gorilla glue, would stick to anything?
    WoodsShop

DId you score/crosshatch the brass with an awl or something prior to gluing? Just sanding may not give the resin enough to hang onto. Ben Crowe from Crimson Guitars in the UK often incorporates metal into builds using epoxy resin adhesives and always scores the metal as I described. For this project, you may need to "pin" the components together laterally with some long rivets, but that can be a nice decorative effect if you stick with brass for that, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Cyanoacrylate (Super Glue). Use the gel variety as opposed to the thin watery stuff. Make sure you place the brass where you want it because it will be there for keeps.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

I would ask the OP what is the application?
    I have glued brass and aluminum to ebony on small projects like segmented turnings and pens using CA and have had good results.
    I ask about the application, because in my usage, the glue joint in question is supported by surrounding materials and there is little to no stress on the wood to metal joint.
    Exampleimg_4153.jpgimg_4153-1.jpg

CA glue wouldn't give me enough time, I had thought about it. These brass pieces were to be between the main body and the wood sides of a Krenov style plane as a decorative feature. I had the brass on hand so I figured it was worth doing on about 6 planes or so. Now that I'm out of brass I'll go without.
    DJO Furniture Maker / Timberwerks Studio

ANother thought...what about perforating the brass in a number of places that will be hidden between the layers. That way, you get a resin to resin bond between the wood on both sides of it.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Osowski View Post
    ...All attempts were made sanding both the Ebony & the brass to 150 grit...
    Way way way too fine a grit.

And I like Jim's suggestion to drill some holes. Also like the polyurethane glue suggestion.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

West System has a flexible epoxy. Call their tech line.

On a plane, I would definitely go with an epoxy and include some sort of mechanical connection. Adhesive alone may not be strong enough to put up with the type of use a plane is subjected to.

I think there are CA glues that have a couple of minutes of open time. I've used regular CA glue to glue brass to wood several times. It has always stayed stuck.

John

I’ve glued brass to cocobolo. I roughed up the brass with 120 grit sandpaper and used epoxy. It’s lasted for years.
    A4669929-8672-4365-8A1B-EDE495675DEC.jpg