Thread: Electrical question

Electrical question

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, but I have an electrical question. I was painting a room and had the outlet covers off. While replacing one I saw the outlet was loose. I started to tighten it and grabbed it to steady it and was shocked (I know, trip the breaker). That had never happened before and just assumed I reached in to far and touched one of the wires.

After getting it back in I decided to test it with a receptacle tester. It tested fine (wired correct), but as soon as I plugged it in the bathroom light started flashing. I checked another receptacle on the same circuit and it caused the light to flash as well. This in combination with getting shocked makes me think something may be wrong. This is the first time using a receptacle tester, so not sure if this is normal or not.

This is a new house we just purchased that was built in 2002.

thanks

Blog Entries
    I would suspect a loose connection inside the box or receptacle. Turn off the circuit, and pull out the receptacle and inspect all connections including any wire nuts and pigtails inside the box. Also inspect the receptacle for cracks or damage. If the stab in connectors were used, rewire the receptacle to use the screw connections. Plug something into the receptacle and feel if the fit is loose. If it is loose replace the receptacle with a quality receptacle. The big box stores have several levels of receptacles. Don't choose the lowest priced ones as they don't last.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I agree with Lee...likely a loose connection and there's also a power pass through to the lighting from that outlet location. Kill the breaker, pull out the receptacle and clean up the connections. If it's a "backstab" type connection, buy a new, quality outlet and install it properly. Do not use "back stab"...modern, quality outlets do permit straight side connections with clamping without having to wrap around a screw and when tightened properly are quite secure. I use the Leviton "pro" versions which are only a few pennies more than the "standard" ones.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hartmann View Post
    While replacing one I saw the outlet was loose. I started to tighten it and grabbed it to steady it and was shocked (I know, trip the breaker). That had never happened before and just assumed I reached in to far and touched one of the wires.
    thanks
    Look closely at a receptacle and you will see a small strip of copper that ties the two screws on each side together, this strip comes to the face of the receptacle in the middle. You will get shocked off of these strips. This strip is to be broken if you want the two parts of a duplex receptacle separated, typically used when one is controlled by a wall switch for a lamp in a bedroom.
    Same as said above about checking all receptacles for a loose wire connection.
    Ron
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 04-03-2022 at 11:47 AM. Reason: fixed quote tagging

Receptacles are cheap. Some are really made too cheaply. If you are going to pull it out to check it anyway, I would just replace it with a good one.

Thanks for the comments. I checked one of the two outlets and it is "back stabbed". I had never heard that term and had never seen it done. Thanks for the tip Jim.

I also noticed the tab as you mentioned Ron, that's what I touched. Again, never noticed them before. I'm obviously not an electrician, but have done a bit of repairs.

I guess I need to check all the outlets and replace as appropriate.

Robert, I've found that every single you-know-whatting original outlet in this new-to-us house is back stabbed and every one I've opened up to-date had some issue. I've replacing them as I go with quality receptacles that are installed properly. This house was built in 1993 and "backstab" was a thing at that point. They also were not generous with outlets...but that's a different issue.
    --

Never understood the "cheap" outlets. I'm pretty cheap as rule, but they're so inexpensive compared to the more expensive outlets it's dumb even for contractors, IMHO. Always buy the best quality outlets you can at the big box stores.

+1 on buying quality outlets. I like using 20 amp outlets .

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bukovec View Post
    +1 on buying quality outlets. I like using 20 amp outlets .
    It's not a good idea to use a 20 amp receptacle on a circuit provisioned as 15 amp as they will allow someone to think they can plug in something with the 20 amp specific plug (has one prong turned) and expect it to work. You can get the same quality outlets in 15 amp format that do not accept the 20 amp specific plugs. But for actual 20 amp circuits...yea, no problem using that format! My espresso machine is an example of an appliance with the 20 amp specific plug and it really does need to be on a 20 amp circuit to be able to use the dual boiler capability. My Festool extractor also natively has the 20 amp plug because it's designed to support both the vac and a tool at the same time.
    --

Blog Entries
    an electrical contractor taught me a neat trick after wiring: wrap electrical tape around the body so that you won't get shocked next time you pull the outlet.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew whicker View Post
    an electrical contractor taught me a neat trick after wiring: wrap electrical tape around the body so that you won't get shocked next time you pull the outlet.
    I do that for sure.
    --

Be aware that "back stabbed" and "back wired" are two different beasts. The first catches the wire in a spring clamp when you push it in, the second tightens a screw to clamp a straight piece of wire inserted into the back, as is done in most other types of high quality electrical connectors. The first are notoriously unreliable, the second seem to work just find and are probably safer in the hands of amateurs who can't properly wrap a wire around a terminal screw (I count myself in that group-- did it for years just because my dad told me it was the "right way"). They're certainly a lot easier to use and I've heard of many fewer failures with them than with either backstabs or wires wrapped around a screw.