Thread: whisky barrell tables

whisky barrell tables

I had a request from a sibling to build a few end tables and coffee tables out of old whisky barrels. Something different for me. So they became a winter project of sorts. It is amazing how much the wood shrinks on these as they dry out, but I finally finished a couple of them. She didn't want them sanded "pretty", preferring the rough look. Two each their own. The barrels are quarter cut white oak and the tops were just plain sliced. Not my cup of tea, but it is what she wanted. 20220216_163831.jpg20211204_101908.jpg20220208_140758.jpg20211204_101902.jpgThe coffee table is a lift top, but I couldn't find the pic. Note of caution" They are heavy. All 1" think white oak.
    Found it. 20220204_164505.jpg
    Last edited by Ron Bontz; 04-02-2022 at 6:00 PM.

Blog Entries
    The gas springs are a nice touch. Are those from Easylift.com?
    Best Regards, Maurice

They turned out very nice Ron. Not my cup of tea but I would’ve loved them as a 25-year-old. I once made a waterbed frame using RR ties and half of a large wire-spool for the headboard. It weighed a ton, lol!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I agree with the others. It's not my cup of tea but the project is unique and beautifully done! Well done Sir!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Hi Maurice.
    I bought the gas lifts from Amazon. I believe they were 8" Berta 100 newton/22lb. lifts. One was not enough to lift the top and 2 were almost too much. I wound up putting a hook latch on them to make sure they just didn't open all by themselves. These barrel tables seem to be a thing lately. She saw them on social media and thought" I bet my brother can make those" The next thing you know, I was buying a couple of barrels to cut up. The first one still had about 1/2 gallon of bourbon in it which promptly poured on my feet and shop floor. Lesson learned.

Blog Entries
    Interesting project with some creative thinking to make it work. Good job.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I like them too.
    They look indestructible. A good piece for a rustic restaurant or a mountain rental.
    Aj

An idea very well executed. Not something I would make for myself but they turned out really nice. A lot of storage space too. Did you have to seal the insides or did the wood dry out enough so there was no lingering smell?

Even after 3 coats of standard polyurethane they would smell like bourbon when closed for a while. Finally put a heavy coat of that water based extra thick poly on the insides and seem to do the trick. They shrank so much the bands fell off and could be moved about another inch before getting tight. Then plenty of blued screws holding the bands in place.