Thread: Bowl internal cutting question

FINGER LAKES AREA , CENTRAL NEW YORK STATE

Bowl internal cutting question

New to segment turning and have a couple of questions I can't work out in my head.
    Specifically on the bowl interior using a bowl gouge is it recommended to address the cutting edge above or below the center line ?
    Part #2 does the recommendation change if the tool is a carbide edge or a scraper?
    Thanks in advance for your time and knowledge.
    mike calabrese

On the outside, I am at or slightly below center. On the inside, I am at or slightly above center. What this does, is that if or when you have a catch, most of the time the cutting edge will drop out of the cut rather than digging in deeper. With scrapers, same thing, and I always have the handle raised a bit.

robo hippy

Thanks Robo
    Appreciate your time and help.
    your info makes sense on minimizing a catch i have seen on you tube (wish I could find it again) where the suggestion on bowl outer to contact above center and on inner bowl work to contact below center. Without a lot of bowl work behind me it all gets a little confusing.
    BTY I watch you vids...nice work bet it takes a bunch of your time to produce a solid video.
    mike calabrese

With standard (brick-lay) segmented construction, the chances of a catch are usually reduced. With all the grain running the same direction, there no end-grain to deal with, which is where catches typically happen.

Thanks Ed for your reply.
    I have not tried any end grain bowls just yet most of the catches I have had are long grain with a bowl gouge. I am beginning to think my inexperience with a bowl gouge is the root cause. I also have carbide edges which bring a lot more control and success at least for now.
    Thanks again for your time and attention.
    mike calabrese

On a standard bowl blank, the grain changes direction twice every revolution side, end, side, end. This means you're cutting changes too. Catches usually occur when you're cutting the end-grain.
    With segmented bowls as I mentioned above, the grain is continuous, all side grain around the circumference. This results in less chance of a catch.

If you don't have a lot of bowl work experience you might consider gaining experience on solid wood before working on a segmented blank that took many hours to make. A local wood turning group can be a great source of assistance.

Thanks Don for your time and attention.
    I am not really having too many issues with turning until I try using a gouge or two. Turning with carbide tools is my best bet at the moment.
    Working on my gouge technique and getting a couple other styles .
    mike calabrese