Thread: Flex hose recommmendation

Flex hose recommmendation

I'm in need of a bunch of 5" anti-static flex hose, not sure of which type(s) might recommended, and potential suppliers. Had a look at the Oneida site, but they sell 3:1 compressed hoses, which I'm honestly not a fan of. Expanding hoses create right angles when you move machines (and sometimes even if you don't).

I will need a bit of slack in case machines need to move a little, but not too much.

One thing that's not clear to me is if you buy a longer hose, if you can cut it to the length you need. Or perhaps for some reason that's not advisable.

Thanks in advance --

Ned

I always cut my flexible hoses to length and have never had a problem. If they have a plastic rib I use a miter saw. If they have a metal rib (like the anti static ones to) I just use a knife and a wire cutter for the rib.

I can't help you with 5", sorry.

I’ve had good luck with hose from Fulton and/or Peachtree sourced via Amazon. It can be cut with a knife and cable cutter.

5" x 10' (5 inch diameter by 10 feet long) Ultra-Flex Clear Vue Heavy Duty PVC Dust, Debris and Fume Collection Hose - MADE IN USA! https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VYNDXTV...ing=UTF8&psc=1

4" x 50’ Ultra Flex Clear Vue Heavy Duty PVC Dust Debris and Fume Collection Hose MADE IN USA! https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0013EI04A...ing=UTF8&psc=1

I used the Flexthane CLD 5” polyurethane hose which is made in the USA.

It’s extremely flexible, anti-static and abrasion resistant.

I just bought a 25 foot length to cut into pieces, be sure to buy the proper bridge type hose clamps from the supplier as well to reduce leaks…Regards, Rod.

There are a lot of hose options. You should check out (https://blastgateco.com/Flex-Hose.php) for a good overview of all options available as the datasheets differentiate them well. You can cut down all of these hoses to length easily with a knife and wire cutter.

I switched to the ATEX hose mainly for its surface resistance level and outside ribs, but its also fire retardant and long living (polyurethane). It's pretty stiff but thats what is most attractive. I've also used the Flex-Tube PU which is also very similar.

The Flex-Tube PV (PVC) pipe was recommended as a good option as well.

I hope that helps.

The best hose has a smooth inner surface.....less friction.

I've been buying the PowerTec hose off Amazon for awhile now. I don't remember if it's "anti-static" or not.

And yes, you can cut the hose no problem. A sharp knife for the plastic part and electrician's pliers will sever the wire.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Falk View Post
    The best hose has a smooth inner surface.....less friction.
    Hi Bob - thx for your reply - any idea who makes a hose that's smooth on the inside, that's also anti-static? Everthing I'm seeeing on the web looks "ribbed".

Ned

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Otter View Post
    Hi Bob - thx for your reply - any idea who makes a hose that's smooth on the inside, that's also anti-static? Everthing I'm seeeing on the web looks "ribbed".

Ned
    The hoses I listed are smooth inside, ribbed outside.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I've been buying the PowerTec hose off Amazon for awhile now. I don't remember if it's "anti-static" or not.

And yes, you can cut the hose no problem. A sharp knife for the plastic part and electrician's pliers will sever the wire.
    I was using the same Powertec duct but I was loosing too much suction due to its flexibility and ribs. If you have a more powerful DC (than I) though, it's good value.
    Last edited by derek labian; 04-02-2022 at 1:35 PM.

Great, thx

For full disclosure, no flex pipe is "smooth" like steel pipe is. The best you can get is mostly smooth with the ribs mostly on the outside. The more rigid the duct, the better performance and less flex-ability. If you want to move the tube around a lot, your better with something like the Powertech, it's easy to work with. If you are stationary and want the best performance, go with the most rigid product you can afford.

Quote Originally Posted by derek labian View Post
    For full disclosure, no flex pipe is "smooth" like steel pipe is. The best you can get is mostly smooth with the ribs mostly on the outside. The more rigid the duct, the better performance and less flex-ability. If you want to move the tube around a lot, your better with something like the Powertech, it's easy to work with. If you are stationary and want the best performance, go with the most rigid product you can afford.
    Will be ordering ATEX in the morning, thx for connecting the dots --