Thread: How do I salvage this?

How do I salvage this?

This was to be two 3/16” curly cheery veneers for a dresser. My planner decided to take a big chunk out of one of them before I got to the thickness. So should I balance things and rip off 2” from each side and fit up two more 2” veneers? Or just one 2” veneer and put that veneer to the back? Put the two inch strip in the middle? Or just start over?
    what says the collective?
    I’m gonna go take a nap!CFE36F50-A2F6-4800-88E5-C09444714045.jpg
    The Plane Anarchist

Blog Entries
    That's very disappointing. It is a problem with running very thin stock through a planer. Looks like there's an issue at the right end of the bottom board as well. There are strategies for doing it, like double stick tape to secure it to a flat board.

aiyai. I have done a few projects with less than perfect lumber to begin with. Usually after I live with the finished piece for a while it doesnt bother me. You can still make a great project out of it!

On this one, I might try to keep it balanced. Rip some of each side then a smaller strip added to the glueup (4 pieces, not all uniform). 'If' you have some pieces to be able to pull that off. Or after you rip them, then flip and bookmatch another section on each - but now you are even thinner! I think I might try that - rip the damaged area (each board ripped in half), then resaw those boards to flip over and you now have 4 boards wide but they are all the right match/color that way.

The only downside to that is the even thinner material. its possible though

Starting over is always an option. If you have the lumber to pull that off. Then use this lumber on some future project.

I would splice in one piece to fill the gap and use that pair on the back, then start over with new material for the face. Cleaning up with a wide belt sander is less risky, especially with thin figured material. 3/16" is thicker than I would use on a man-made core.

Yeah I started over. This time I resawed to 3/16 and I’ll go straight to the drum sander. The good thing is I can use the old ones as veneers for the drawer fronts.
    The Plane Anarchist