Thread: Adapter to connect face-plate to PVC pipe fitting (for slow-rotation epoxy curer)

Adapter to connect face-plate to PVC pipe fitting (for slow-rotation epoxy curer)

I built and use a slow-rotation epoxy curing machine, for applying and curing epoxy coatings onto woodturnings. The motor is basically a rotisserie motor (2-3 rpm), and the spindle (self-built) is PVC pipe, 1 1/4" ID.

Mostly I use faceplates that I built myself, using PVC fittings attached to wood or HDPE plastic. These hold a woodturned item in place, using either hot-melt glue (if lightweight enough), or screws that penetrate into the item's tenon or base.

I would like to be able to sometimes use the same faceplates that I also use on the lathe; that is, heavy metal faceplates that present a 1 1/4" 8 tpi female threaded connection (normally, for the lathe spindle to penetrate). That would be handy for heavier turned items being epoxy-coated.

So, what I need is an adapter, that would be:
    • male 8 tpi, 1 1/4" diameter (to screw into the faceplate), on the faceplate side, and
    • female 1 1/4" ID, threaded to mate with PVC-threaded male, on the spindle side.

I don't know that such a thing exists (who but I would need it?), but if you do and know of a source, I would love to have that information.

Should not be too difficult to make. For the low RPM you use a little runout should not cause a problem. I would start with a PVC 1 1/4" male thread to slip pipe fitting. Using the lathe then turn a piece of hardwood to fit inside the PVC coupling. On the opposite end of the piece of hardwood turn to correct diameter and use a die to cut 1 1/4-8 threads. You could epoxy the piece of wood into the PVC coupling first. Then true it up and turn to correct diameter before cutting the threads. That should get rid of most runout.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Marshall View Post
    ... an adapter, that would be:
    • male 8 tpi, 1 1/4" diameter (to screw into the faceplate), on the faceplate side, and
    • female 1 1/4" ID, threaded to mate with PVC-threaded male, on the spindle side.

Could you take a male 8 tpi x 1.25" dia (metal stud) and epoxy it into a suitable PVC coupling?

1.25" x 8 tpi is not a common bolt/nut size. I have tried to find it. If you do find a source, please post. That would certainly be handy to have.

McMaster does however, sell a die that thread size. You can turn a dowel the correct size to thread for both sides and cut your own threads. I've been making urn closures that way. Beall sells that tap size. so you can make the "other" part as well.
    While you're ordering the die, may as well order the 1x8 tpi, the smaller common spindle thread.

As mentioned, for your application and urn closures, a little runout would be acceptable.

Here is one source for the nuts.

I bought a pack of five a while back to make vacuum chucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Iwamoto View Post
    1.25" x 8 tpi is not a common bolt/nut size. I have tried to find it. If you do find a source, please post. That would certainly be handy to have.

McMaster does however, sell a die that thread size. You can turn a dowel the correct size to thread for both sides and cut your own threads. I've been making urn closures that way. Beall sells that tap size. so you can make the "other" part as well.
    While you're ordering the die, may as well order the 1x8 tpi, the smaller common spindle thread.

As mentioned, for your application and urn closures, a little runout would be acceptable.
    https://www.wbnoble.com/wood_turning...faceplates.htm