Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bite size and blade life

Bite size and blade life

I learned many of my woodworking practices from a mentor who advised to take light passes when using machines with rotating blades i.e. jointer, planer, router.
    His logic was that numerous lighter passes will not only be easier on machine, but more importantly easier on the cutting edges. Not to mention reducing the risk of tear out and grabbing grain.
    So my practice has always been to take very light cuts even if it means more time and more passes. Often times sound is a good feedback. The sound of a lighter cut is normal to me, but when the machine is taking a heavier cut I'm conditioned to wince.

The thing is I can't scientifically prove whether this belief is a fallacy or not. After all, could the physics of taking 1/32 depth cuts instead of 1/16 or 1/8 really make a meaningful difference in cutter life?
    Does it make a difference if the cutter is carbide vs HSS?
    What do you think?
    Last edited by Edwin Santos; 03-31-2022 at 1:13 PM.

IMO, Yes, it makes a difference.
    I tend to lean toward lighter passes as well when applicable. As you said, it does increase machine life by not taxing the tool. It does lessen the chance of tear out and if it does happen, it's usually not as bad. It keeps the cutting edge cooler which is generally a good thing.
    As you said, it may not be scientific but after decades of using power tools, I'll stick with what works for me.
    Interested to hear others opinions on this, everyone uses tools differently

I have my jointer set to take about a 1/64" bite: Minimax Xylent segmented head. I rarely take more than twice that when running the planer. I get better results with this strategy as opposed to hogging off larger amounts per pass. Wear on cutters: lighter cuts means more passes which in turn has to increase wear on the cutters. But I am a hobbyist and am in no hurry to process lumber. I'd rather get the best finish, and I disregard cutter life: these carbide blades seem to last forever.

I also tend to take lighter passes for the reasons mentioned above. I see no reason to hog out 1/8, making the machine work harder. If i had a 10hp jointer, maybe it would be ok.
    Distraction could lead to dismemberment!

Some of the faster wear with heavy cutting could possibly come from more heat generated from friction. I've always preferred light cuts for a more practical reason, however...less chance of overshooting, tearout and other things that happen with a cutting edge bites into the material.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The manufacturers and sharpeners say that slow cutting is not good . Makes more heat and more wear and non-smooth surfaces as the
    saw has room to wiggle.

Hi Jim, for maximum cutter life, the thickness of the chip has to be sufficient to carry away the heat of cutting.

For this reason you do feed rate calculations when machining, most people feed far too slowly, resulting in reduced cutter life.

Take the thickest chip that produces the required finish, and stays within the tooling recommendations from the manufacturer and stays within the machine capabilities as specified by the manufacturer.

Regards, Rod
    Last edited by Rod Sheridan; 03-31-2022 at 6:04 PM. Reason: Grammar

Blog Entries
    On a router, jointer or a planer a bigger bite gives a greater potential for reversed grain tear out. If your take a light cut on the first pass you can see the areas where tear out may occur and take steps to avoid further damage.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Hi Jim, for maximum cutter life, the thickness of the chip has to sufficient to carry away the heat of cutting.

For this reason you do feed rate calculations when machining, most people feed far too slowly, resulting reduced cutter life.

Take the thickest chip that produces the required finish, and stays within the tooling recommendations from the manufacturer and stays within the machine capabilities as specified by the manufacturer.

Regards, Rod
    This. You can calculate the ideal chip load. Light passes are not where you have maxium tool life.

I take at least 1/32 pass on my jointer when facing rough boards. Sometimes even more. The idea more passes the less wear sound like Bs to me.
    Aj

Yeah, i never understood the "light passes=greater tool longevity" theory. You are cutting more material surface area. I try to take one 1/8" pass at the jointer to get my face flat/straight, but i will take 1/4" or more if the edge is very bowed. I take 1/8", or whatever the biggest bite allowable by my planer, for most passes. Do you make one pass at the table saw, or do you raise the blade in 1/2" increments?

If you have the power, then i have to imagine the faster feed rate and heavier cut will make your tooling last the longest time. If you strive for the best surface finish or your tool is underpowered, then go with lighter cuts at the expense of your tooling. Remember, tooling is disposable! It will need to be replaced or sharpened, and thats just part of the gig.

Talking heavy passes scares me on a router and anything figured... on the j/p I tend to stick around 1/32 but will often start with heavier passes and finish light.

On router I have mixed feelings and experiences. When I've gone trade shows and the like i always see demo guys taking full passes worth large profile bits and getting good results fast... I've never really tried because i tend to use pricey lumber and likewise can't risk big blowout even though I'll still get some light. I think a lot of it matters on the grain of your material. Profile bits I tend to work in passes because of what I said but recently doing plunge routing like cutting interior circles or cutouts in taking full cuts....I had a conversation with Onsrud recently and they told me you really don't want to step with spiral plunge bits as that will only heat the tip and wear out faster... they told me to take full plunge, around 18k, and at 3 sec a ft or faster!...I understand the logic but taking full plunges in hardwood or BB seems really hard as well (I use dewalt 618s) ... I bought a rougher but from them and can't tell you how pleased I've been... I've been trying to keep my feed rate fast even when it starts to sound like it's fighting a bit and so far so good.... over $100 for the bit so it's risky. I've tried it faster, slower, and higher and lower rpm and it seems like their recommendation is actually the best overall.

Experiment and see what works for you.

As for the j/p it larger depends on the power of your machine, type of material, and how you like to work. On my a3-41 I can pretty much take whatever I want... have yet to bog down the machine in any way and have not really noticed any significant different in quality of cut.

Hi Kurt, take a ripping blade with 24 teeth, a chip thickness or load of 0.015” and a blade RPM of 4,800.

24 X 0.015 X 4,800 = 1,728 inches per minute or 144 feet per minute.

For a fine finish (glue line) use 0.010 chip load = 96 feet per minute.

Know you know why stock feeders have one or two speeds up in the 60 feet per minute range.

When I set up gang rips for a living the machines were 50 HP, I was often running 3 or 4 blades in 8/4 or 12/4 hardwood at 80 feet per minute…Rod

Cutter life and surface quality are sometimes at odds. The heat that dulls edges is carried away by chips so the longest cutter life comes with low rpms/high feed speed to get the optimum chip load. Cautious, slow feed and light cuts may be called for to get an acceptable surface in figured or gnarly wood but it will be at the expense of blade life. The more linear feet of material a cutter sees the more wear, so heavier cuts will prolong its life

It's much more nuanced than that. In theory, and carbide blade, If cooled, and kept perpetually clean, could cut wood indefinitely with out dulling. There's nothing in (most) woods that would cause wear on a carbide tip. Yes, the first cuts with a brand new blade would cause some micro fracturing on the edge, but but the edge would very soon acquire a slightly blunted edge, on a microscopic level, that would be incredibly durable. Heat is what causes blade wear. Controlling heat generation is going to be the most important aspect of prolonging cutter life. Cutting speed and depth are only limited by the capacity of the machines spinning the tooling.