Thread: Stanley 110 blade slips

Stanley 110 blade slips

I finally went to the bother of cleaning and sharpening this thing. It worked pretty well on edge grain but as soon as I tried end grain, the blade slipped and would not take a second pass. Is there a way to tighten these up, I'm at the end of the screw.

Stanley110.jpg

This plane isn't good for much besides fine trimming. The high angle of cut doesn't promise success on end grain.

To quote Patrick Leach:

This was a very popular block plane. It is like the #102, except it's longer. But, it's still a cheap piece of junk when compared to Stanley's other block planes. There is no adjustment mechanism provided on the plane, and proper irons have backsides that are without any notches; i.e. they are featureless and flat.

I used to have a couple #102 that worked well for chamfering/breaking edges and extra fine edge trimming. Try to take a big bite and the iron would move. The only way to tighten up the iron is to crank the thumbwheel up and create more force from the lever cap. I suspect yours is bent if you've run out of screw.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

I'll save it for breaking edges, although I usually break edges with whatever plane I have in my hand. I'd toss it but I have a beautiful edge on it right now and it's clean so it's going to take up some space in my shop forever. Thanks for the input. I'll keep my eyes open for a better one come yardsale season.

I can look through my stash, later...and see IF I have a better No. 110.....

Meantime..also keep an eye out for the Stanley No. 9-1/2 block planes...
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use