Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dog holes + a dedicated planing stop...

For thin stock I made a tail vise insert with an adjustable zinc stop. One benefit of a tail vise twice as long as normal, you have room for such a stop.

66CF94F5-65AA-48F8-848E-6D2390A3656A.jpg
    You can insert them in the bench top of course, just have to make your mind up where!
    They do work well gripping the thin stock. The zinc is soft enough not to damage a blade.
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

For planing small or narrow pieces, I use an adjustable sticking board.

The "dog" or stop here is another toothed steel part I filed from mild steel ...

This board does a superb job of holding drawer sides for grooving ...

The reason for the two-level side fence is that this offers options. Make one side as low as possible to plane boards without interference.

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMad...ingBoard2.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek, that looks like a handy appliance. Something similar might be helpful for guitar and mandolin sides. What is that screw beside the toothed steel. It doesn't seem to have a purpose.

Richard, the second screw (bolt) is simply an optional position for the toothed steel (such as a wider board). The screw is recessed to get it out of the way.

The bolts are held by threaded inserts ...

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Last edited by Derek Cohen; 04-01-2022 at 5:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Hutchings View Post
    I don't think I could ever get on board with that method. I watch a lot of Rex Kruger videos and using this method, the board is constantly moving around, requiring adjustment of the board. It would drive me nuts. It drives me nuts watching him do it. Maybe a wider stop like Derek's would work for me but right now I'm perfectly happy to lightly clamp between dogs.
    I was using my wagon vise and a dog to secure wood I was planing but was aware that it may possibly bow the piece. I felt like it was reasonably quick to undo and check the board. Then one day it clicked, I needed to check more frequently and the stop allows me to do this faster than anything else. I think a recessed Lee Valley MF replica is in my future.

I have used a two inch wide stop on my bench since 1979. It is 3 1/4 inches from the edge. (mortise is 3 1/4 to 5 1/4 from the edge) I don't have any bench dogs. This has worked well. It is possible that 4 inches may have been closer to the standard historically.

You don't want it too close to the edge because with wider boards because for planing the far side of the board we move the board over so we are planing somewhat in line with the stop.

I would not put a stop in line with the dog holes.

Blog Entries
    This has me thinking about a Woodwright's Shop episode on holding without a vise > https://www.pbs.org/video/woodwright...eless-devices/

One way to hold with just dogs is a three dog setup:

Three Dog Holding.jpg

This allows for quick flipping of the stock or working multiple pieces.

One of the things this episode inspired me to build was a cam action holder:

100_7825.jpg

This is great for working a lot of similar sized pieces.

A little background music is always nice.

If you like music of the hills > https://www.pbs.org/video/woodwright...right-musical/

They are woodworker themed.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)