Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hammer A3-31 converted to "CNC"

Hi to all that have commented. Thank you all for the kind comments.

At this time, I don't expect to make the parts list and code available, as my son is considering marketing a retrofit kit, as that dovetails nicely into his machine control retrofit business.

The removal of the locking handle has not caused snipe issues, as the stepper motor provides holding torque while idle. I'm not sure what will happen when I run heavier timbers, and may need to return the locking handle. I removed it to prevent attempting to move the table with it locked which would cause missed steps.

Let us know if he will need guinea pigs.

Thanks George. I'm sure he will need people to try out his kit. Especially to let him know that the mounting instructions are complete and easy to follow.

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    Let us know if he will need guinea pigs.
    Totally agree with this. I would love to have something like this on my A3.
    And there was trouble, taking place...

Lisa,

Please count me in if your son wants to run an « international » field validation exercise. 😁

Nice project to carry out with your son.

Regards,

J.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacques Gagnon View Post
    Lisa,

Please count me in if your son wants to run an « international » field validation exercise. 

Nice project to carry out with your son.

Regards,

J.
    He would have to test foreign voltages I'm sure

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    He would have to test foreign voltages I'm sure
    Jacques is in Québec, according to profile location, and I think Canada runs on the same voltage and frequency standards as the US. You are correct about dealing with electrical standards elsewhere though.
    And there was trouble, taking place...

Steve,

Thanks for the clarification. We are indeed using 120/240 volts at 60Hz (residential customer). Certification (e.g. UL/CSA) would likely be required for export markets.

Quote Originally Posted by John Barfield View Post
    Hi Lisa,
    That is very impressive. Do you get snipe without the lock handle? johnbarfielddesign.com
    Hi John, obviously I’m not Lisa however I don’t experience snipe without the table lock, in fact I never use it.

Every time I’ve had a complaint about snipe on a Hammer of Felder planer it has been due to improper feed roller adjustment…..Regards, Rod

Quote Originally Posted by Jacques Gagnon View Post
    Steve,

Thanks for the clarification. We are indeed using 120/240 volts at 60Hz (residential customer). Certification (e.g. UL/CSA) would likely be required for export markets.
    Salut Jacques, the modification Lisa has made uses a low voltage stepper motor, I’ve used 18 volt laptop “brick” supplies for this sort of thing, only requirement would be a brick with a Canadian approval……Regards, Rod.

Thanks Rod.

Always something new to learn everyday and this group is extremely knowledgeable and generous.

Lisa, kudos on a very worthwhile upgrade to your machine. I would be happy to be a retail customer of your son’s business when this becomes an actual product. I have older Felder machines and would be happy to provide dimensioned drawings for the BF-6-260 and -310 combos.

Greg

Hi Rod,
    Relative to other thickness planers, yes the snipe is very slight, easily planed or sanded out. But the adjustments of this machine allow you to work to very close tolerances, and the locking handle ensures consistency, and I tend to go with what works.johnbarfielddesign.com

This is totally badass Lisa! I wish someone would build a TigerStop clone for use on a miter saw setup. Would be nice if the community came together and came up with a DIY version of it. If someone could figure out the hardware and controller side of things I could get the code written as my neighbor is a software designer and proficient in many languages with regards to coding

Very cool.