Thread: how to choose a decent set of dividers

how to choose a decent set of dividers

Hi, I'm trying to understand how to buy a "good" set of dividers.After recently buying a cheap quick adjust divider set that did just that - quickly readjusted my measurements mid use I'm looking for something easy to set and rock solid.
    I saw Crucible Tools is selling a pair that use a screwdriver and was wondering: won't using a screwdriver move the settings while tightening?
    Aren't wing dividers more stable overall?
    What style would you folks recommend?

appreciate any help on the subject
    Assaf

Assaf, I have Starrett dividers in 3" and 6".

Regards from Perth

Derek

Personally, I do not mess with the friction type. They look cool, but I just don’t trust them. I stick with the screw kind like Derek posted for dividers/calipers. 100% reliable. Even the cheap ones.

I use dividers a lot. I have some Starrett and Brown&Sharpe ones for when several are needed for one setup, but when just one is needed the General that lays out all the time gets the call, and works fine. It's probably something over 40 years old. I don't know if the ones they sell now are still as reliable, but I bought that one when money was tight for buying anything, and it's never let me down.

I have some big ones from Harbor Freight that hold a pencil, but I'm always double checking those.

Being in the US, I've bought used ones, different makers, Millers Falls, Union, Starrett.

I just checked the Taytools website and Lee Valley, the price difference is about 10 to 1 for the Starretts. I've bought a few tools from Taytools, they're fit for their purpose. I seriously doubt I'd pay full price for a new starrett; picking it up to use, if I bought it, wouldn't give me a happy feeling.

I do have a brand new starrett straight edge reference bar, but that's a very specialized tool for my case, and it wasn't a fortune.

There was a time, the Pexto made and sold some very, very good ones...

Not a fan of the ones sold by General...

Have a few Starretts in the til....including a nice, little 4" model....

One place I happened upon a couple years ago...owner was selling ALL of his Drafting tools....and even included some "Made in Japan" models...fellow was a retired Machinist...
    Made a chest to hold some of them..
    The Dividers, boxed up.jpg
    As for the PEXTO Brand..
    The Dividers, PEXTO.jpg
    Starrett Ruler for scale..
    The Dividers, fancy ones.jpg
    Fancy stuff...small is a Starrett, larger one is from Mitutoyo

Which style do you prefer?
    Last edited by steven c newman; 03-30-2022 at 10:20 AM.
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

I've bought all of mine used. They're mostly Starrett and some Brown & Sharpe. There's also a Groz that I was given, it think it cost more than the Starretts did used. It's the biggest one I own, and while I rarely use it, it works in practice the same. It's just not as... Nice.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Assaf Oppenheimer View Post
    Hi, I'm trying to understand how to buy a "good" set of dividers.After recently buying a cheap quick adjust divider set that did just that - quickly readjusted my measurements mid use I'm looking for something easy to set and rock solid.
    I saw Crucible Tools is selling a pair that use a screwdriver and was wondering: won't using a screwdriver move the settings while tightening?
    Aren't wing dividers more stable overall?
    What style would you folks recommend?

appreciate any help on the subject
    Assaf
    If you live in or near a city you may want to see if there is a local machinist tool supply dealer. The compasses/dividers they use are usually of a heftier design.

Not sure if McMaster.com has operations in Israel but they have some at reasonable prices:

scribing Compasses.png

When searching try compasses instead of dividers, though both will usually find something.

For marking dovetails dividers from my old drafting sets work fine.

Mine have been found in second hand stores, antique stores, estate sales and used tool stores.

There are a lot listed on ebay. If you search dividers stay in the tool areas. Searching compasses will bring up hiking compasses or drafting compasses.

Drafting compasses are okay, but sometime a little light weight for woodworking.

It is good to have multiples and good to be able to find them inexpensively.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)