Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: what's up with the violinists?

what's up with the violinists?

Out of nowhere around here, every shopping center suddenly has a guy (or guys) playing a violin, thru an amplifier, usually along with some background music. Sunday I went to 3 shopping centers within a half hour and each one had a violin show. Today we took the dog to be groomed, same shopping center I went to Sunday, and a different guy playing, but in the same spot. All these guys seemed to be playing for money. And while I'm hardly an aficionado, I was surprised that all 4 of these guys were actually pretty decent!

I'm guessing this must be some sort of 'flash mob' thing arranged thru social media, but I'm curious, is this 'thing' going on elsewhere or just a Salt Lake area thing? Also curious as to why reasonably talented violinists would need to panhandle? Are guitarists next? Accordions?
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Blog Entries
    I have not seen that but would like too. Many musicians really like to play. There are quite a few stories and YouTubes of very famous players randomly playing on the street, incognito. I may be over thinking. I associate random Violin playing in public with freedom and safety.

Also lots of performers have been out of work for 2 years. Our Civic Orchestra is playing again for the first in time over two years. Everyone is excited.
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 03-30-2022 at 9:30 AM.
    Best Regards, Maurice

I saw the same thing in a local supermarket parking lot, smallish town. No idea as to the origin.

Blog Entries
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 03-30-2022 at 9:35 AM.
    Best Regards, Maurice

We've had them around here too. Usually in a Walmart or Target parking lot. But the consensus is that they aren't really playing - its recorded music to which they are "syncing". So be advised.
    < insert spurious quote here >

Blog Entries
    For some reason the first thing that popped into my mind was a comic from many years ago with a police officer standing over a guy, with a violin, he just shot and saying to a shocked woman, "gee lady, how else do you expect me to stop violins in the street?"

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

There are a lot of folks that earn all or part of their living busking. (the term for playing like that for tips) It's not new, but technology does permit people to provide a sonically larger show with background instruments, etc.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

many years ago for a vacation we motorhome'd to San Francisco, then up to see the ocean, the Redwoods, the Oregon coast and finally hit Seattle. Downtown was nothing BUT impromptu musicians, EVERYwhere! Very cool actually. Now in downtown SLC proper I'm sure there's more than a few street musicians playing. But out here in the 'burbs, until these, not one but several, violinists, I've never seen anyone play music... I watched 3 of 4 of them play (the 4th had a 'helper' and at the time were talking with people in cars) and I can safely say they weren't going thru the motions, they were definitely playing those fiddles; too many 'ad-lib' notes & such ...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Years ago I was by myself walking through a long pedestrian tunnel between 2 stations on the subway in Paris. Someone was playing the theme from Dr. Zhivago on a violin 'way down the tunnel as I walked toward it. It echoed in the tunnel. Might have been the most moving piece of music I ever heard.

Just returned from Italy. Musicians on the streets in every city and town. I donate if they are good. I listened to a man playing a cello three consecutive days. Guitarists, violin and flute, string quartet, a very creative 4-man group, drummers, guitar/trumpet/singer, sax, marimba, and more. One woman dressed in oriental clothes was playing an instrument I’ve never seen before - a long plucked string instrument: pressing on the string extending past the bridge varied the pitch. Some performers had CDs for sell.

Blog Entries
    One of my favorite street music groups is Tuba Skinny on YouTube > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYJhgz4L3UU < (playing Maple Leaf Rag - not necessarily my favorite of their repertoire, but enjoyable)

When employed at BART in the San Francisco area there were almost always musicians in and around the stations. Some were very good. Some were not so good.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    We've had them around here too. Usually in a Walmart or Target parking lot. But the consensus is that they aren't really playing - its recorded music to which they are "syncing". So be advised.
    The difference between a live violin and noise coming from portable speakers should be recognizable, even with hearing aids!

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Kopfer View Post
    The difference between a live violin and noise coming from portable speakers should be recognizable, even with hearing aids!
    Agree. A live violin sounds light and borne on the air around it, while the recordings can seem to be heavy, especially if one turns the bass
    up beyond middle. I turn it down a little .

When I was a senior in high school I was a member of the All-City High School chorus. Members from all five boroughs of New York would rehearse every Saturday morning fro 9:00am to noon at a high school in Manhattan. After the rehearsal we would all meet in the 42nd street subway station, get into a huge circle, and sing for hours. Subway riders would form a circle around our circle and listen - some stayed for hours. No hats were passed - no money was involved, it was just 120 kids who loved singing together. That was 60 years ago and it was one of the greatest experiences of my life, and the reason I ended up teaching choral music for 35 years. Today, we would call what we did a flash mob. I called it making music for the joy of making music. I'll bet many of these musicians mentioned in this thread are doing it for the same reason.
    "A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths."
    -Steven Wright.

I like the street musicians. My favorite was a bagpipe on the street up to Edinburgh Castle.