Thread: Walnut Broom Closet

Blog Entries

Walnut Broom Closet

This was my first commission job – a Walnut, corner broom closet for my neighbor. She had an old carved panel she wanted me to incorporate into the front. I completely whiffed on the cost estimate – told her I thought materials would be about $400, turned out Total material costs were $850 – yikes I hate when that happens! Cost of Walnut here in Southern California has gone through the roof!

In the end, I'll probably end up making about $10 an hour. Turns out it's really tough making money building furniture. I'm retired from my real job and it's not like I'm trying to feed my family with this work. I just thought it would have at least some nominal economic reward. I confess I'm a little discouraged. I'm sure the primary economic problem here is my poor estimation skills. I just wonder how any professional woodworker survives?

Best, Mike

That is the fanciest broom closet I have ever seen!

Not sure about the financial part, but that is a beautiful piece right there.

Would be curious to see the broom, worthy of such a closet!

Two things seem odd: The mounting of the handle seems high, the symmetry of the lower panel below the carving is broken, it also seems it should face ‘in’ not out so the left hand can grab it and the right hand the broom.

The other is the bullet latch, the lump of wood inside the door could perhaps have been avoided with the bullet in the frame and the plate on the door edge.

As for pricing fine furniture you must remember very few people can afford it, almost no one appreciates how much time and effort it takes. There is a reason fine furniture showed up in only the finest homes, the companies with skilled craftsmen charged what it cost to produce, they had to. Don’t be afraid to charge accordingly, just remember if you don’t have rich customers you won’t make any sales. The company name or craftsman’s name gives credence to the price but that takes a while. Throwing in the word ‘reproduction’ of something does no harm.

Just because a customer has money does not mean they will spend it. Dentists are the worst. Three recently balked at my quote for office cabinetry and custom glass installation, wanting to pay 20% of the cost or less! One wanted me to drive 2 hours each way and do all the work for $100. My dentist makes $800/hr!
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by William Fretwell View Post
    Would be curious to see the broom, worthy of such a closet!

Two things seem odd: The mounting of the handle seems high, the symmetry of the lower panel below the carving is broken, it also seems it should face ‘in’ not out so the left hand can grab it and the right hand the broom.

The other is the bullet latch, the lump of wood inside the door could perhaps have been avoided with the bullet in the frame and the plate on the door edge.

As for pricing fine furniture you must remember very few people can afford it, almost no one appreciates how much time and effort it takes. There is a reason fine furniture showed up in only the finest homes, the companies with skilled craftsmen charged what it cost to produce, they had to. Don’t be afraid to charge accordingly, just remember if you don’t have rich customers you won’t make any sales. The company name or craftsman’s name gives credence to the price but that takes a while. Throwing in the word ‘reproduction’ of something does no harm.

Just because a customer has money does not mean they will spend it. Dentists are the worst. Three recently balked at my quote for office cabinetry and custom glass installation, wanting to pay 20% of the cost or less! One wanted me to drive 2 hours each way and do all the work for $100. My dentist makes $800/hr!
    Thanks Bill - good questions: my neighbor is interior designer and had lots of very specific input including selection and placement of door handle. I appreciate your mention of symmetry- how would you suggest placement?

Agree my bullet catch solution is less than elegant. I always struggle with hardware! Seems like takes forever to get correct fit etc.; particularly with inset doors.

This is old, cast brass catch and outer diameter of bullet was big enough that left little thickness of door stile remaining. Probably could have made it work but with little room for error.

What kind of latch hardware do you like for this kind of application? I appreciate your suggestions!
    Cheers, Mike

The brooms will be swept-away by their new home and perhaps “ refuse” to come out of the closet. Ordinarily they are a tightly knit
    big bunch. Some really wild grain in that wood !
    Mike, glad to see you back.

Mike I would have mounted the handle about half way down the door. It could be a little higher based on the customers hand height with a 90 degree elbow bend.
    The bullet catch works for such a door but I would have sized it so the bullet would be in the frame.

The handle is rather odd, the hinge and handle colours clash, brass hinges would match the handle better. When all said and done the little details can make or break a piece. People notice these things after a while.

Customers with ideas can be a pain, you have to listen but if their idea would compromise the piece I have to decline their request to preserve my reputation. One $70,000 job they wanted me to report to someone who had never built or designed anything. I explained, NO, all you do is write the cheque! I had to walk away. The project a year later is still unfinished.
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by William Fretwell View Post
    Mike I would have mounted the handle about half way down the door. It could be a little higher based on the customers hand height with a 90 degree elbow bend.
    The bullet catch works for such a door but I would have sized it so the bullet would be in the frame.

The handle is rather odd, the hinge and handle colours clash, brass hinges would match the handle better. When all said and done the little details can make or break a piece. People notice these things after a while.

Customers with ideas can be a pain, you have to listen but if their idea would compromise the piece I have to decline their request to preserve my reputation. One $70,000 job they wanted me to report to someone who had never built or designed anything. I explained, NO, all you do is write the cheque! I had to walk away. The project a year later is still unfinished.
    Thanks Bill for all your helpful suggestions. I agree with all your thoughts. As I mentioned, choosing/installing hardware is one of my least favorite parts of any project. Accordingly, I tend to go with simple/classic.

The client selected the hinges, handle and handles placement. I mentioned rule of thumb for handle height is height of bent elbow but didn’t really make much of a case. Based on your suggestions, I’l Try and be more direct next time about advocating for my recommendations. Somehow think I still cave to opinionated clients.

Anybody else have hardware suggestions for door catch in this application? I’m guessing commercial home builders must use some kind of easy to install, spring loaded, pressure catch? Installing bullet catches for a row of doors like this would be pretty onerous job.

Thanks Mike

Mike, I have to say, I love that. Reminds me of something you might see in an old European church. Great finish on the walnut (did you start with Watco medium or dark walnut, by chance?).

You know, when I first saw it, I thought, oh my, when the owner passes you could just bury her in it. I think it looks that nice.

Every new to the business woodworker goes through a period of hoping they just broke even. Some do it just to build their portfolio. Chin up, my friend, keep doing what you’re doing and the $ will come.

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=Phil Mueller;3187432]Mike, I have to say, I love that. Reminds me of something you might see in an old European church. Great finish on the walnut (did you start with Watco medium or dark walnut, by chance?).

You know, when I first saw it, I thought, oh my, when the owner passes you could just bury her in it. I think it looks that nice.

Every new to the business woodworker goes through a period of hoping they just broke even. Some do it just to build their portfolio. Chin up, my friend, keep doing what you’re doing and the $ will come.[/QUOTE

Thanks Phil, you’re too kind! I suck at finishing so rely on a couple go to’s: love to start with Watco, wet sanded 600 grit. Problem is can’t get it anymore in CA because of some environmental rule. So now I’m hoarding my limited supply. For this piece I just went right to oil based poly. Not my favorite but was workable.

Any suggestions for brush on finish where shellac isn’t durable enough)