Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Today is Vietnam Veterans' Day

Today is Vietnam Veterans' Day

Today (3/29) is Vietnam Veterans' Day. I almost missed it but saw something in the paper about it.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the reminder. I am slowly reading a history book by a highly honored Vietnam Veteran. It is very heavy and is effecting my views in a major way. No Google doodle, that is a shame. I had leaned a tiny bit toward the Jane Fonda camp. I am often wrong.
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 03-29-2022 at 9:02 PM. Reason: more
    Best Regards, Maurice

Thank you to all those of my generation who served in Vietnam!

While I served from '68-'76, I managed to miss that duty station!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blog Entries
    Thank you for your service Ken! One of my bosses was a Conchie and spent some of those same years cleaning bed pans and changing wound dressings. Thank you both!
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 03-29-2022 at 9:20 PM.
    Best Regards, Maurice

I was a little too young to really understand what was happening. Thanks to all that served.

Blog Entries
    I also served on active duty from June 71 to July 76 and wasn't asked to go there.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Thanks,

I never heard of this being a special Vietnam Memorial Day, but I am going to call my little brother. He still has some pieces of a Chinese hand grenade in his leg.

PS: I called him last night, and had a long talk. He was not aware of the special day either.

He carries a lot of guilt from there. He went through the Tet offensive, stationed at a forward fire artillery base ( that translates as a hummock in the middle of a rice paddy). When not on artillery duty, he also did patrol duty in the area, and survived several enemy attempts to over run the base. Not long after he went home, the base was over run, and every one was killed.
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 03-30-2022 at 1:09 PM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Citerone View Post
    I was a little too young to really understand what was happening. Thanks to all that served.
    Me Too. From the First two chapters of Col. Dunn's book I see that very few understood or understand what was going on. Thanks to Lee and Ricks brother too.
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 03-30-2022 at 7:01 AM. Reason: .
    Best Regards, Maurice

That day missed me completely. I spent a year and a half in country. Thanks to all my fellow Vet vets.
    Joe

Maurice,

Can you share the name of the author and title of the book? Sounds like something I would like to read. Thank you.

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    Thanks for the reminder. I am slowly reading a history book by a highly honored Vietnam Veteran. It is very heavy and is effecting my views in a major way. No Google doodle, that is a shame. I had leaned a tiny bit toward the Jane Fonda camp. I am often wrong.

I never noticed it until this thread. Spent 12 months and 22 days there 68-69. It wasn't a lot of fun as my 2 purple hearts will attest. Being a Marine grunt, I consider myself lucky that I came home with no permanent damage. I give back by volunteering at my local VA Medical Center a day a week to help my fellow vets.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

FINGER LAKES AREA , CENTRAL NEW YORK STATE
    Tothe Sons and Daughters of America
    Whileyou are far away those of us you have left behind stand with you inspirit and great pride.Wesee the images and hear the stories, we fly the flags and dry oureyes and we think of the job you are doing every day for our freedomour America. We are with you in spirit and proud of you in ways thatwords simply don’t allow. If we could look you in the eye, shakeyour hand or have a moment to stand beside you maybe then we couldbegin to show you how we feel.Americais proud of her sons and daughters.
    Asin every war past, present and future you may hear or meet those whowill detract from the job you do for us. They will call you names andmay even welcome you home with terrible acts of disrespect.
    Don’tbe discouraged, be proud and stand tall because they are proof thatfreedom, your mission is alive and at work in America.Youare the protectors of their free speech and the very breath they mayuse to protest you.
    Alwaysremember this is your America, a place, because of you and yourservice that allows such actions in the form of freedom. Alwaysremember because of you tanks will never roll them over to renderthem silent, Alwaysremember because of you they will never run naked in the streetsfrom an approaching army. Alwaysremember because of you they will never be forced to their knees andexperience the point blank execution of their dissidence.
    Mostof all always remember it is because of you, thousands before you andthousands who will follow in your tracks that makes this possibleonly in our America.
    Youare the sons and daughters of freedom and there is no greater honorany American can ever wish to have than to be the heart & soul ofthe very best of who we are. The freedom you are fighting for isalive and strong in America and awaiting your proud return.
    Comehome soon, come home proud and come home to an America that is betterbecause you are in her service. Withdeepest respect for every one of you THANK YOU for our America and WelcomeHome
    mikecalabrese

If you go to “The Wall’s” website there is an area where you can comment, give a remembrance, of those you knew who did not come back.

Fortunately after the debacle of the Vietnam war the powers that be opted for a all volunteer armed services.That way their rich children did not have to be put in harms way. Such a pity that the poor foot soldiers took the beating in Vietnam. A war that had nothing to do with freedom of speech or dissent as some claim our soldiers have preserved for us. Our leadership in DC and their Pentagon buddies should have been tried for treason and gross stupidity. Sadly since then we have had Iraq, Afghanistan. Wars that again have nothing to do with th freedoms Americans enjoy.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Mich View Post
    Maurice,

Can you share the name of the author and title of the book? Sounds like something I would like to read. Thank you.

Peter
    The First Vietnam War by Peter M. Dunn
    Col. Dunn USAF served 3 tours in Vietnam at very great cost to himself.
    Our public Library brought the book in for me through the Inter Library Loan service.

Thanks to Dave Anderson and Joe Bradshaw as well.

Screen Shot 2022-03-30 at 9.35.32 PM.png Screen Shot 2022-03-30 at 9.38.24 PM.png
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 03-31-2022 at 8:23 AM.
    Best Regards, Maurice