Thread: Mirka Deros 6" sander: 2.5 or 5mm orbit?

Mirka Deros 6" sander: 2.5 or 5mm orbit?

Several other threads on the Deros here, but not much discussion on the orbit size. I have a Metabo 6" that is great, but interested in the lighter, more ergonomic Deros.
    Metabo has option to press a button, rotate pad 1/4 turn to move in and out of the 2.5 or 5mm orbit. As I do only finish sanding, I try to keep it at the smaller orbit, but it does occasionally get bumped just right and shifts to the larger one.

Anyone else pay much attention to the 2 different models with the larger vs smaller orbit? My distributor called Mirka and asked, but it turned into a discussion of which one they sell the most of (5mm).Sadly, that doesn't answer my question on the best one for my use.
    Basically, here's the deal:

- I will tolerate no swirls, and years ago, the several festool models I tried failed that test
    - Since I lock current machine into 2.5mm pattern, am I right in feeling I need to stick with that, or am I missing a better experience and no swirls with the 5mm orbit?

How has your mileage been, and is it the 2.5mm (MID62520CAUS) or are you using the 5mm (MID65020CAUS)?

Thanks!

Jeff

I do not use a Mirka but I have been using a Bosch DEVS 1250 sander as my only sander since my DeWalt broke. I recently added a Milwaukee cordless but haven't used it hardly at all yet. So for several years and several projects I used the Bosch. It has a turbo mode and it's orbital mode is 5mm. I use the turbo first and finish with the orbital. I sand clear finished projects to 220 grit and I see no swirls. It is possible I am not as discerning but nobody else has seen them either.

Your other option, if you see some with the 5mm sander is to sand with the last grit with the smaller orbit. But I don't think you will see any. I am assuming the Mirka is a quality sander which I think is a pretty safe assumption.

I think (just a guess) the smaller orbit must be for automotive clearcoats, and such, with 1500 and finer grit sandpaper. I use the same sander as Jim, and see no swirls from the finish grits with it on wood.

i had a 5mm festool, and now i have a 3mm festool. I miss the 5mm.

My unbeatable has been that the smaller the stroke the finer the pattern, but I could be wrong. I don't have a mirka, rather a festool 150 with 3mm... bought that at the time as I was asked if I would be doing any finish work and since I do was told it would be less aggressive but finer pattern.

I've been thinking of a rotex....I like the profile of the deros but prefer the heavier weight so the tool does the work and I don't have to put any pressure but it's live to hear comparisons... but not trying to hijack the thread.

I have the Ceros with a 5mm orbit. I have not seen any swirls after sanding, unless I mess up. But if the surface is for a fine piece of work, I will still block sand 3 or 4 passes with the grain.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

I recently got a 5" Deros with a 5mm stroke. The only time I have gotten swirl marks was when I was being (too) aggressive using 80 grit to pull off a finish. I wasn't exactly using good technique at the time, so it was more likely my fault than the sander's. I haven't gotten any swirls from normal use.

I also got a Bosch 6" Dual mode sander at the same time, and I now know to use that when I am doing aggressive sanding, like removing a finish or planer marks or leveling a glue up, and to do the finish sanding with the Mirka. The Mirka could probably do the aggressive sanding adequately; it's just that the Bosch is so much more powerful and faster

In general I very much like the Deros. It is quite light weight and easy to use vertically, and much less vibration than any other ROS I have used. Dust collection hooked to the Festool vac is great, and it doesn't use stupid proprietary patterned sandpaper. I find it comfortable to hold, and, contrary to most online reviews, I really, really like the paddle switch. For how I work, it is much more convenient than a rocker switch. Despite being primarily a hobbyist and a known cheapskate, my buyer's remorse went away in about an hour. I almost look forward to sanding now because I get to use it
    Last edited by Andrew Seemann; 03-29-2022 at 11:22 PM.

I'm using the 5" 5mm deros with the abranet pads. It's incredibly powerful, way above and beyond anything I've ever sanded with. I had to use my dewalt on the jobsite the other day. I gave my dewalt away after that. Sanding with something other than the deros seems like a shocking waste of time to me now. The only caution I'll share is that any bad sanding technique will show up quickly since it's so powerful. The pads will also cut your hand open if you bump yourself.

I went with the 5. From what I read the benefit of the 2.5 is super fine sanding. If you were to run 2 sanders having one of each would make sense 1 to get you to 320 then one to head out beyond. But as a woodwoorker I felt saving a little sanding time was more important than glass finish at 4000 grit.

2.5mm if you already have a sander for more heavy stock removal. I find a small orbit RO sander and a larger orbit direct drive are a sweet combination. What abrasives are you using? These are just as, if not more, important than the orbit size. I recommend Mirka Abranet Ace.
    JonathanJungDesign.com

Jonathan,
    I do have a sander for heavy stock removal, if you count the wide belt. By the time a piece of wood hits the table for R/O sanding, it's after a 180 pass through the wide belt, 99% of the time. Just cleaning up with a 180 grit to blend cross grain scratches on FF/Door rails.
    Abrasives: Uneeda Ekablue . Been happy with it's performance at the 2.5mm. Guess I'll need to try the Abranet, though my distributor only carries Autonet. Targeted for automotive, but equally suited for woodworking, so it says. Fortunately, my local distributor will allow me to "check out" the 5mm they carry, so I may do some testing/staining to see if that 6" 5mm passes the swirl test.

Tom: Thanks for that link - Since I normally finish to 180, and occasionally 220 for paints, looks like according to their chart, another vote for 2.5mm.

I'll do a test board with my current sander at both the 2.5 and 5mm orbits, and, on same board, use my paper on the Mirka, then stain test to compare results. Yes, I'll do my best to post pics of results here.

Jeff