Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lift lock and roll

1. I ran into a snag on this build. The 3/4” bar I wanted wasn’t available from McMaster-Carr when I got materials, but they had a 3/4” galvanized, so I got them. Turns out the 3/4” diameter was made bigger by the galvanized dip, so I need to find some 3/4” rod….about 12 feet for both lathes.
    Galvanized is terrible to weld, and can really cause health problems, which I did not know when I ordered on the fly a while back.

One place I checked last week did not have any, so I’m searching. When I get some progress, I’ll post again.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

To make things more troublesome not all 3/4" round stock is really 3/4". My 3/4" round stock was a tiny bit over 3/4" and would not fit in a 3/4" drilled hole. I realized this after I had cut, shaped and drilled all my pieces that needed holes. Was able to borrow a ream that was 49/64".

3. Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hayward View Post
    To make things more troublesome not all 3/4" round stock is really 3/4". My 3/4" round stock was a tiny bit over 3/4" and would not fit in a 3/4" drilled hole. I realized this after I had cut, shaped and drilled all my pieces that needed holes. Was able to borrow a ream that was 49/64".
    I’m going to check with some steel suppliers within about a 100 mile area from me, and see if I can’t get the rod I need. Fortunately, I only drilled a 3/4” hole in two of the many parts I cut out, as I was going to use them for a mock up of one corner to test the lift, so If I need to, I can cut two more, and back down to a 1/2” rod, or maybe a 5/8” rod, depending on what is available.

Don’t you just love the supply chain issues we’re experiencing these days?!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

If there is a Metals Marketplace store near you, they have scrap bins with numerous good stock of all types of metals. They will also ship.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    I’m going to check with some steel suppliers within about a 100 mile area from me, and see if I can’t get the rod I need. Fortunately, I only drilled a 3/4” hole in two of the many parts I cut out, as I was going to use them for a mock up of one corner to test the lift, so If I need to, I can cut two more, and back down to a 1/2” rod, or maybe a 5/8” rod, depending on what is available.

Don’t you just love the supply chain issues we’re experiencing these days?!
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.

I've bought some steel and brass on ebay. Shipping can be a deal killer though. The smart sellers know how to ship cheaply. Once I bought a half dozen 12" long x 1" diameter 12L14 (free machining steel) and the shipping was something like only $6 (New York to Calif). The shipper taped the rounds together, wrapped with stretch wrap and put into a non-padded USPS envelope. Then the seller wrapped the entire envelope with two layers of reinforced filament tape. The package probably weighed 20 or 30 pounds and proved to be indestructible.