Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tracing an object using the shadow effect and laser cut the file

tracing an object using the shadow effect and laser cut the file

this will show that placing a projected light 90 degrees to the drawing table
    casts a shadow that can be traced and a dxf file created to allow a fitted foam
    insert for that object using the CO2 laser to cut it

https://stankern.vids.io/videos/799e...-shadow-effect
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's a nice tip Stan. I will be sure to try your technique shortly.

Keith
    you need a good powerful light setup 90 degrees to the object, in my case i used a projector, but my ceiling being 8 foot i can only trace out small objects like say 18x18 in
    I need to find a more adjustable light source

I have a suggestion.
    Have you seen the round LED lights that are made to be installed in an overhead socket?
    Jackie gave me one for Christmas that I installed in my shop. It has three fan blades, each full of LED bulbs and the white light it produces is amazing. I will snap a picture of the light ASAP.

Attachment 476914
    Can't take a picture with the light on because it just blinds the camera. Note that each of the wings are adjustable. The light is about 12 inches in diameter and a bright daylight color that produces way more light than a standard two bulb florescent fixture. I could easily replace all of my florescent lights in my shop with these LED's. This one is used as an access light when I enter the shop and want to go upstairs without turning on any of my zone area lights.

See my post number eleven for the picture.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 04-08-2022 at 10:00 AM.

hmm, I get "Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator"...

can you resend the picture even with the light off

also i tried a few light sources and the best was a slide projector but its the focus that giving me grief
    But the slide projector light was strong and gave a sharp shadow, i would like a projected light with varying focal length
    right now light at 7 feet gives me a 20x20 image on the table , would like something bigger

invalid file attchement
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

LED Light.jpg

Sorry about the first attempt to upload this pic.

would like to see the shadow of an object, because i feel the light has to be like a lens light that you can focus

I will see what I can do. Moving the wings up and down may provide the adjustment you are looking for.

Been real busy working on my dune buggy's brakes. I finally got the new master cylinder reservoir installed last night and filled with fluid. I need to get the car out of my shop, it just takes up way to much space. Once its running again I can move it inside and out to accommodate the days work.

dune buggy sounds great, my shop will not house any vehicle
    its 3500 sq feet but i cannot get a vehicle into it, garage door is 20 in off the ground (loading bay) and there is too much equipment there
    my john deer trator won't fit the shop, I need a bigger shop

I have similar problems, my shop is three bays, 24 by 36 feet but I keep one bay open for work space and have a place for my workbench that I move around when I need the full bay for a project. I Can't get my tractor inside either the doors are only eight feet high and the ROP won't fit under the door even though I cut the top of it off so it would go in my barn. My welding equipment is in the corner by the door so I can work outside if weather permits.

Struggling with the last castle nut on the rear wheel, haven't been able to break it loose yet. Today is the day though

I will try my best to get the picture for you today.

I captured two pics placed directly under my LED light in my shop. I am not sure how this is supposed to be done because my results don't seem to be very good. The light is about 7 feet above the surface and I was standing on a ladder at least 5 feet above the wooden piece. In the second picture I raised the wooden piece above the surface about one quarter inch.

shadow 1.jpg Shadow 2.jpg