digitize a plan for aircraft floats and cnc cut it

video #1 :going to show tracing out 15,5 foot float for an aircraft
    and cnc cutting the parts

https://stankern.vids.io/videos/d39e...and-cnc-cut-it

video #2 : going to show taking all the parts cut form video #1
    and assemble the 15.5 foot float

https://stankern.vids.io/videos/709e...t-and-assemble
    Attached Images Attached Images

Stan - that looks like a lot of work! Nice job on your presentation. What did you skin the frame of the floats with?
    David

1/8 inch plywood and fiberglass

Please share some photos once you get them painted and installed onto the aircraft.
    Thanks,
    David

I don't think it will go that far

Blog Entries
    That was fun to watch! Most of the discussion related to CNC is over my head. The video is a big help in starting to see what's involved. Nicely done!
    Best Regards, Maurice

I have done boats before so this is something a bit different

https://stankern.vids.io/videos/d39d...duck-boat-plan this was interesting also

Blog Entries
    The duck boat is neat too. I have read that some boats like that were made to be sunk at low tide in the Chesapeake estuary and the duck hunter would hike out to the boat, bail it out, get in and wait for the tide to come in along with the dusks. I am still not sure how that works, It sounds like a muddy affair.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by stan kern View Post
    I don't think it will go that far
    Were you just doing these for practice then, and not to be actually installed onto an aircraft?
    David

I was tired of doing boats so i always had my eye on an aircraft float (like the design in frames) so i found this one and i thought it would
    make a catamaran (2 floats bolted together) but turned out it sits at an angle on the water, my neigbour is looking into what can be done.
    Aircraft floats today are all aluminum float kits, and it was not like that when i was a teenager.
    it was a good project with and we'll see where is goes next (in the later spring)

Quote Originally Posted by stan kern View Post
    I was tired of doing boats so i always had my eye on an aircraft float (like the design in frames) so i found this one and i thought it would
    make a catamaran (2 floats bolted together) but turned out it sits at an angle on the water, my neigbour is looking into what can be done.
    Aircraft floats today are all aluminum float kits, and it was not like that when i was a teenager.
    it was a good project with and we'll see where is goes next (in the later spring)

Thanks for the update Stan! It was still a fun job to do and turned out great.
    David

Blog Entries
    I wonder what the hull speed of those would be? When planes take off they appear to hydro plane at a fairly slow speed. Certainly the lift of the plane figures in.
    Best Regards, Maurice

I enjoy these large projects, when i was a teenage i built balsa airplanes ...frames and tissue, when its in frames it looks cools
    I had built a 14foot wingspan glider , the fuselage was amazing and strong. It took 2 bike to launch if from the church school playground
    eventually it never came back (too windy)
    i am always on the hunt for a large project to draw and digitize

Stan, did you ever complete the little hydroplane you started?

a bit of ballast in the bottom may make them a lot more stable, looking at the shape and weight distribution.