Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Jointer specs questions

Jointer specs questions

Hi, I’m looking at two 8” Grizzly jointers, the 0858 and the 0495X. Both have spiral cutter heads. The 0495X has a 7” longer bed, adjusting wheel rather than lever, cutter head speed of 7000 rpm vs. 5500 and it seemingly weighs 200# more. I was surprised to find that the bed is almost twice as thick, at 3 5/16”! As an occasional user, my main goal is to make square boards (!) something I never get from my old Yorkcraft jointer. No matter that my fence reads perfectly square against an engineering square, the edges never come out 90• to the face. Given that humble goal, is there a reason to go with the 0495X? I will if it’ll get me there but I don’t know if its better features are an indication that it’s better quality overall. Is it more likely to square boards more accurately? What are the advantages of the increased cutter head speed and the much thicker bed? And is a lever that much harder to get incremental changes out of than a wheel? I only make cabinets and doors for my own home but since I mostly do it for pleasure, I don’t want to be frustrated by unsquared boards. Thanks for your opinions!

They are both nice machines. I have the 0490X which is similar to the 0858. In general, a large woodworking machine that weighs more is better. And on a jointer a longer bed is nice but only if the projects you use it for require jointing longer stock. Wheels give you more precise adjustments which is why they include a digital readout. But in reality I've never seen the need for that kind adjustment on a jointer. A table saw and planer get your stock to final dimensions after jointing. In your case I'd say your projects should determine your choice here. You mention cabinets and doors. If you mean doors for the cabinets the 0858 would work just fine for you and the money you save could go for a better grade of another tool you might need. If by "doors" you mean the larger inside and outside doors for home entryways then you'd be better off with the 0495X. Of course, if the cost difference is not a factor for you and you think that down the road you might need to joint longer boards, like for a tabletop, then go with the 0495X.

AVOID the G0858 junk pile at all cost! First don't buy the "Taiwan QC" story what a joke. It's a very lightweight machine for an 8" with small diameter parallelogram components, scant cast iron. You can flex the tables out of alignment with only moderate pressure on the handle when bringing the outfeed up to the stop. I bought one of those things new recently (face palm) and dumped it on craigslist for a loss soon after. It took quite a lot of time and effort to get the thing dialed in. The factory did a crap job assembling and adjusting it. I had to do their job for them.

I doubt the tables are over 3 inches thick.
    Maybe the ribbing is over 3 and a few more more here and there. Go big or go home.
    Good Luck
    Aj

I looked at the G0495X there was a used one that came up for sale near me at the time. Was also looking at a new Powermatic PJ882-HH that was in stock at our local woodworking store. My assumption was probably the same machine made in the same factory just an extra $1k for the Powermatic name, WRONG! They are way different. Turns out the Powermatic PJ882-HH has some of the design elements of the larger 12" jointer. Downloaded the user manuals and really started comparing, yeah a lot different. Not saying the G0495X isn't a solid machine but the PJ882-HH is a battle tank. Up under the tables everything is massively large. Even the table stop bolt is ridiculously large.

Some differences...

- PJ882-HH has a 6 row 54 insert cutterhead, the G0495X has a 4 row 36 insert cutterhead.
    - Table adjustment cams are in the tables on the G0495X, in the base casting on the PJ882-HH.
    - PJ882-HH fence handwheel is a fine adjust of the fence angle (patented) vs on other brand machines including the G0495X that handwheel just adjust the fence in/out. Loving that as the fence is double jointed, trying to adjust the fence angle with just the grab handle is a bit tricky.
    - The PJ882-HH has copper tipped gib bolts on the sides of the table, that's why the center of the table sides have no paint.
    - The PJ882-HH has a 5 year warranty vs 1 year for the G0495X

The G0495X does have some do-dads like the table height handwheel adjusters and digital readout but those are of limited to no use on a jointer. The G0495X has a nice big cover on the front and back for easier maintenance vs the PJ882-HH just has a rear base cover.

pj05.jpg

Thank you all for your input. I’m now looking at the Oliver 4235, Baileigh 883P, Grizzly 0495X and somewhat at the Powermatic 882HH. All 8” parallelograms with helical cutter heads. I’ve read some negative reviews of the Powermatic and with the much higher price, that concerns me. Of course random reviews aren’t a great thing to base your decision on but just reading the specs doesn’t tell you what the quality is. No place near me has any of these jointers you look at- it’s a big purchase to make sight unseen.

A few questions:
    1. Does anyone have experience with any of these models?
    2. Grizzly’s quality used to have a bad reputation. On paper the 0495x has all the things I’m looking for but I’m wary because of the reputation. Has its quality improved?
    3. Oliver has had a good reputation but this one weighs 350# while the Grizzly weighs 600#. Can I assume the extra weight is a big plus?
    Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Coolidge View Post
    I looked at the G0495X there was a used one that came up for sale near me at the time. Was also looking at a new Powermatic PJ882-HH that was in stock at our local woodworking store. My assumption was probably the same machine made in the same factory just an extra $1k for the Powermatic name, WRONG! They are way different. Turns out the Powermatic PJ882-HH has some of the design elements of the larger 12" jointer. Downloaded the user manuals and really started comparing, yeah a lot different. Not saying the G0495X isn't a solid machine but the PJ882-HH is a battle tank. Up under the tables everything is massively large. Even the table stop bolt is ridiculously large.

Some differences...

- PJ882-HH has a 6 row 54 insert cutterhead, the G0495X has a 4 row 36 insert cutterhead.
    - Table adjustment cams are in the tables on the G0495X, in the base casting on the PJ882-HH.
    - PJ882-HH fence handwheel is a fine adjust of the fence angle (patented) vs on other brand machines including the G0495X that handwheel just adjust the fence in/out. Loving that as the fence is double jointed, trying to adjust the fence angle with just the grab handle is a bit tricky.
    - The PJ882-HH has copper tipped gib bolts on the sides of the table, that's why the center of the table sides have no paint.
    - The PJ882-HH has a 5 year warranty vs 1 year for the G0495X

The G0495X does have some do-dads like the table height handwheel adjusters and digital readout but those are of limited to no use on a jointer. The G0495X has a nice big cover on the front and back for easier maintenance vs the PJ882-HH just has a rear base cover.
    All fine and dandy, but……………………….you left out the most important spec.

PRICE

I have had the Grizzly 0495x for 15 years. No complaints with it other than I did have to let the smoke out of the motor last year, cost about $320 bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sabo View Post
    All fine and dandy, but……………………….you left out the most important spec.

PRICE
    LOL right a whole $829 difference for a better quality Powermatic jointer, with a better beefier design, better helical cutterhead, with a 5 year warranty vs the coin flip Grizzly quality thing and lower resell and only 1 year warranty no I didn't forget the most important spec, superior machine and value.

For slightly more $, you could buy the Hammer A3-26 10 inch Jointer & Planer combo or A3-31 12 inch J/P combo machine = far superior machines not made in China or Taiwan. Get a Jointer & Planer in one machine.

I don't have specific experience with these machines, but it seems like you haven't really narrowed down choices.

Personally I would go with a euro style machine... what is your planer situation? You might be able to upgrade 2 pieces of gear for only a year now and get a good combo jointer planer...

The cutey cutterhead guard is another issue... I've never liked the pork chop and when I switched to a euro guard it was a tremendous comfortability change and made it much easier for me to use the machines though many like the chop... used is always an option to by bring some to the same price points.

I was looking at a Grizzly 8" parallelogram with inserts while also looking at the 882 but with straight blades since I don't think they are needed on a jointer. I very lightly used Powermatic 882-HH came up on Facebook that included the Powermatic mobile base and jumped on it. It's a very solid machine and the tables are flat. If I was going to order from Grizzly I think I would go with the South Bend. It's only a few bucks more but weighs 60 lbs more. I'm guessing that it's more likely to have flatter tables and fence than the Grizzly. It also has a 2 year warranty (I think).

As for the Powermatic I have no regrets. I would buy it again if I needed to replace it. Some people like a combo machine. If you think it would work for you then fine. But I like having two separate machines. I also added a plate to the side of my 882-HH so I can use a powerfeeder with it.

You can find someone to complain about any equipment purchase you might make. So what. I have two grizzly machines and one SCM machine that cost more than both of my grizzly machines combined. Guess which one arrived screwed up and needed me to fix it before I could use it and guess which two arrived working perfectly and havent given me any trouble at all. My SCM runs like a champ now and I love it. You can find things to gripe about with every brand out there. Personally it seems to me that the more we spend on our machines the more we tend to look down on anything cheaper than what we have. Sort of helps us justify the expense. My dirty secret is that I have a Ridgid tablesaw, the old 3650, it is by far the cheapest big tool in my shop. Years ago I wired it for 220 but it has handled every single thing I have thrown at it over the years and I work almost exclusively with large thick hardwoods. It ripped my 18" wide 2.25" thick 11' long Ash boards that were a bit too wide for my 16" J/P with out even breaking a sweat. The internet wisdom is that I couldnt possibly build anything except firewood unless I had something else (most places a sawstop on this forum I would probably be told a slider) but somehow I survive. Powermatic from my own hands on experience and that of several friends and relatives is not worth the premium. If you like the grizzly I am sure it will provide you years of service. Good luck with your new jointer.

14. Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    I also added a plate to the side of my 882-HH so I can use a powerfeeder with it.
    Do you have a photo of that you can post?

Quote Originally Posted by Alex LaZella View Post
    You can find someone to complain about any equipment purchase you might make. So what. I have two grizzly machines and one SCM machine that cost more than both of my grizzly machines combined. Guess which one arrived screwed up and needed me to fix it before I could use it and guess which two arrived working perfectly and havent given me any trouble at all. My SCM runs like a champ now and I love it. You can find things to gripe about with every brand out there. Personally it seems to me that the more we spend on our machines the more we tend to look down on anything cheaper than what we have. Sort of helps us justify the expense. My dirty secret is that I have a Ridgid tablesaw, the old 3650, it is by far the cheapest big tool in my shop. Years ago I wired it for 220 but it has handled every single thing I have thrown at it over the years and I work almost exclusively with large thick hardwoods. It ripped my 18" wide 2.25" thick 11' long Ash boards that were a bit too wide for my 16" J/P with out even breaking a sweat. The internet wisdom is that I couldnt possibly build anything except firewood unless I had something else (most places a sawstop on this forum I would probably be told a slider) but somehow I survive. Powermatic from my own hands on experience and that of several friends and relatives is not worth the premium. If you like the grizzly I am sure it will provide you years of service. Good luck with your new jointer.
    I too have the 3650. It does well with anything I have fed it, most recently rip cuts of 1.5 inch ash. Now I'll do the "Son, when I was your age..." bit. When I began woodworking in 1989 I had a Sears circular saw, a router, and a jack plane. I had no training or mentor, but I did have energy and a passion for woodworking. In my opinion, I made great furniture for family and friends.