Thread: Can I paint over Helmsman Oil Based Spar Varnish?

Can I paint over Helmsman Oil Based Spar Varnish?

I'm planning top seal some exterior cabinets with Helmsman oil based spar varnish. I'd like to topcoat with an oil-latex paint to match the existing shop exterior. Has anyone tried this? Would I need an oil primer or just scuff the spar varnish before painting? I'm concerned about the paint top coat alligatoring/cracking.

The cabinets hang on my exterior shop wall and will be exposed to seasonal snow and rain.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Personally...I'd abrade AND prime before applying the paint.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

If they are being painted, I would skip the spar varnish, use an actual, oil-based primer and then paint. I'm not really sure what would be gained with the spar varnish; the primer is all you need.

Andrew makes a good point. Quality paint is a good thing and doesn't require the varnish.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I guess I should have stated up front that I already have the paint to match the shop exterior...it's Behr House and Fence Solid Color Stain and it says it's "Resin Type: Oil-Latex" and recommends an oil primer. I already had the spar varnish, oil primer, and the paint so easy decision to go that route as long as I can avoid adhesion issues.

Anyway, the question was whether paint could be applied over varnish and I think Jim had the right answer given my circumstance...abrade & oil primer before painting.

Thanks for the replies.
    Last edited by scott vroom; 03-30-2022 at 1:38 PM.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.