Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ballpark $$$ to build workshop.

Might be more economical to construct a concrete block building - would be a more sturdy structure. If you are able to build yourself, even better !

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Roock View Post
    Might be more economical to construct a concrete block building - would be a more sturdy structure. If you are able to build yourself, even better !
    We're using a lot more block, brick and poured concrete then a few years ago for that reason. One word of caution, shop around for cmu if you go this way. The range here is over the last few months is $.99 to $3.99 per depending on vendor and day, it's just insanity.

Thanks everyone. Think I have a good idea now what to expect.

I measured the shop and it is 20x35, I can see after your comments that it is going to cost me a bit more than $3,500 than it did my father in the early 60's That price included the contractor building it. The good old days.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    We're using a lot more block, brick and poured concrete then a few years ago for that reason. One word of caution, shop around for cmu if you go this way. The range here is over the last few months is $.99 to $3.99 per depending on vendor and day, it's just insanity.
    The split face CMU's sure have some great colors & appearance too.

In ‘15 I built my 30x34x10 stick framed shop. It came in at under $50k, but I Generaled the job myself. The key for me was finding the right guy to run the job as I was still traveling two weeks/mo all over NA. He knew the guys to bring in for the build side and I chose the electrician, etc. When home worked with them and generally did not get in the way. Today, simply hiring a GC to do it and material costs would likely be double. The key for me was the lead guy.

If it helps you to plan, I just had a 24'x40'x10' sidewalls pole building put up. Went with the thicker metal, 4 of the "better" windows, insulated 16'x8 overhead door with opener, seamless gutters, electric, 5" concrete floor and apron and was about $30K.I locked in the contract in December, same building is $1500 more for materials now.

Added: That included all labor, crew of 5 put it up in 3 days.

A reputation for craftsmanship is a responsibility
    to never take lightly.

Jeff, that sounds pretty consistent with the post frame building I literally bought this morning once concrete is added in. Mine is 4' shorter at 36' but I couldn't push that square footage without being in danger of having to do extra work and cost for ground water management.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Heil View Post
    If it helps you to plan, I just had a 24'x40'x10' sidewalls pole building put up. Went with the thicker metal, 4 of the "better" windows, insulated 16'x8 overhead door with opener, seamless gutters, electric, 5" concrete floor and apron and was about $30K.I locked in the contract in December, same building is $1500 more for materials now.

Added: That included all labor, crew of 5 put it up in 3 days.

Thanks. That helps a lot.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

9. I built a shop from the ground up in Monterey CA about 7 years ago. total cost was $131,000. The building site was on a hill, so that involved some extra foundation work. permits were approximately $11,000. Shop was 24' x36'. Included plumbing for a small bathroom.

We moved to Florida about a year and a half ago. Bought a place with a four stall barn that I have converted to a woodworking shop. Cost about about $2700 for electrical to be installed and $7,000 for a slab to be poured in the barn. Hope this helps.

I just installed a Mr Cool minisplit 12k btu in my shop last fall for $1300. Paid $1600 which included tax through Costco (with free delivery) and then it qualified for a $300 tax credit (I'm in Calif) which I just took while doing my taxes. My shop is is approx 900 sq ft and well insulated but has two garage doors and being in central Calif, the weather is very moderate. Its big enough to take the chill off in winter but not really large enough to heat it up beyond 62 degrees. I haven't tried summer cooling yet. Randy
    Randy Cox
    Lt Colonel, USAF (ret.)

Randall, Costco has the 24k BTU for the same $1600 now...gotta love the passage of time! The only offer the 18K and 24K units now.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Congratulations Jim, We're all watching your progress.

In Texas in 2017 we paid closer to $100 sq/ft to build an attached shop, separate 200AMP service, foam insulation, super efficient Mitsubishi mini split, brick exterior, insulated garage door, craftsman style moldings and doors, commercial epoxy floor, 5/8" wallboard... Built like a nice home, cost like a nice house. Cheap to heat and cool and awesome to work in.
    Mark McFarlane