Thread: Circular Saw Blade Question

Circular Saw Blade Question

Hi All,

I'm kind of confused about which 7 1/4 circular saw blade I should use to rip cut Hard Maple (and Cherry). I don't own a table saw so it'll be mainly for rip cuts although I may do some cross cuts but not often. I currently have an 18 tooth blade that came with my skil saw. The home depot guy suggested 60 teeth but from what I'm reading I should maybe be using 40 teeth or even 24 teeth?

I'm hoping the forum can help clarify!

Thanks in advance

Luis

If you used the word "rip" with the sales person and they recommended a lot more teeth...they don't have a clue. Ripping typically uses less teeth and ideally includes a "raker" (flat tooth) in the configuration for efficient clearing of the kerf for ripping with the grain. Your current 18 tooth blade would be better than any other number you mentioned in that respect for ripping. Now for the crosscutting you say you do most of the time, a higher tooth count will help with the quality of the cut.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I really like the 7 1/4" Diablo blades HD carries.
    It might be difficult to find a real ripping blade for a 7 1/4".

Jim is right about the lower tooth count. The problem with the lower tooth count Diablo is the blade tip geometry.
    Instead of a raker style, their teeth come to a point.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Reyes View Post
    Hi All,

I'm kind of confused about which 7 1/4 circular saw blade I should use to rip cut Hard Maple (and Cherry). I don't own a table saw so it'll be mainly for rip cuts although I may do some cross cuts but not often. I currently have an 18 tooth blade that came with my skil saw. The home depot guy suggested 60 teeth but from what I'm reading I should maybe be using 40 teeth or even 24 teeth?

I'm hoping the forum can help clarify!

Thanks in advance

Luis
    Get a 18 tooth if you can find one, 24 tooth if not. Less teeth the better for ripping wood.
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post

That's a 10 inch blade. It would be impossible to put on a 7 1/4" saw. Get the 24 tooth Diablo. For stock less than 1" thick, this blade works well on a table saw.

Sorry, I clicked on the wrong link.
    This is what I meant
    https://diablotools.com/products/D0724DA

I've been using the Skill magnesium worm drive saws since they started making them. Non-mag Skill before that. The Diablo framing blades are my go-to for this saw. I have the 24T framing blade on it now. https://diablotools.com/products/D0724A

The one that Edward link to above looks interesting. Might last a bit longer, but the standard carbide blade has been going strong for a couple years now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    If you used the word "rip" with the sales person and they recommended a lot more teeth...they don't have a clue.
    I honestly don't mind "Don't have a clue". What really makes me mad is "Don't have a clue" AND make up to something to tell you anyway which is why I never ask! There is a 95% chance that they will tell you exactly opposite of what you actually need.

There is a total of 1 guy at the two HomeDepot near me that knows what he is talking about or will be honest and tell you he doesn't know. Coincidentally he is also the only guy that starts walking towards the loading door when you request help loading at the check out while every other employee starts walking in the opposite direction.
    Last edited by Michael Schuch; 03-28-2022 at 6:50 PM.

I will also voice my support for a Freud Diablo. I got surprisingly good cuts with the 60 tooth in plywood but it might be too many teeth for maple and cherry - both of which tend to burn. Depends some on how much you value a smooth cut. If the hardwood is only 13/16 thick the 60 tooth may work fine. But fewer teeth are less likely to burn the wood. If the wood is thicker than 13/16, I would definitely use a lower tooth count blade. If I tried the 60 it would be because it is a good blade to have on hand for smooth cuts in plywood.

Ripping any wood, a lot of wood is removed easily in large, stringy pieces (cutting parallel to the fiber). These pieces need an area to go, so a big gullet is the best - fewer teeth and the large open area between teeth - the large open area is the gullet. If the gullet gets filled, you get a lot of heat build up and you can end up with burn marks from a hot saw blade. Cross cutting makes small pieces of wood (cutting across the fiber), so you don't need the gullet as large. More teeth makes a cleaner cut.

I turn also, so I cut blanks from logs. When I cut a length ways of the tree with a chainsaw, I have to stop and pull strings of wood off the chain stop and dogs. before I get through the piece. I am using a standard chain - the chain for ripping has 1/3 the number of teeth and you don't have the problem.

We put the new edger in the saw mill in 2005 - it cuts the wane (round part of the log on the outer boards) off the boards for a better grade and higher selling price. We played around with teeth and gullet size to come up with the best combination. We worked with Menominee Saw in Menominee Michigan to get the best saw blade. Their equations were better than the OEM of the machine because we ended up with a better cut, blade life and use less power with their recommendations.
    Last edited by Rich Aldrich; 03-29-2022 at 8:52 PM.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

Blog Entries
    Ripping chains are available for chainsaws.
    I use the diablos on the skillsaw and like them. I think the one I usually have on is a "Framing / Construction" with 24 teeth. They would mostly be intended for soft woods. I use them on 100 year old yellow pine that can be very hard, for ripping and crosscutting. They cut with ease. They are great until I accidentally hit a nail. I think they are usually around $9.00. When a 2 x 4 costs $10.00 they seem reasonable.
    Best Regards, Maurice