Thread: Wenge desk top build with my daughter…started

Wenge desk top build with my daughter…started

It’s what I’ve hoped for, for years! My daughter wanting to learn woodworking! She’s 25 now and asked if we could make her a adjustable hight desk top…I said “HELLS YES!!!” First we bought the bottom adjustable…mechanism from Monoprice. After looking at all the wood at my local hardwood dealer, she decided on wenge. We spent one weekend day roughly going over all the tools. Then the next Friday we started. Let me tell you, teaching and watching her use the table saw for the first time was ten times more nerve wracking than teaching her to drive!!! I would explain and demonstrate and she would do the rest! She’s a fast learner! Much smarter than her dad… Over the last month, or so, of Fridays, she’s cut the 5 boards, jointed them, used biscuits for alignment and glued up the top. She rough sanded both sides and cut the top to the final dimensions, using a circular saw and a guide and the table saw. Now…she weighs 115 pounds, so I ONLY did what she couldn’t handle safety. And then sanded the bottom to 180 grit and the top to 320. And lastly, so far, she routed the profile that she wanted on the edges…deciding on the profile took 3 hours!😎. She still needs to do some touch up sanding and applying the finish.
    Here’s some pics of what she’s done so far.

I’m not sure why some pics turned 90 deg?

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Turney View Post
    I’m not sure why some pics turned 90 deg?
    See sticky thread in Forum Technical Support.

-----

That's going to be a great project!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...