Thread: New cherry top for old Crate and Barrel table

New cherry top for old Crate and Barrel table

I’ve always like the look of painted and finished wood together. I’ve had this white table and chairs for 15 or so years and just thought I could use a change. I’ve also been toting around some cherry, that was originally intended to be made into an armoire. Never made the armoire and thought that this relatively straightforward project would light a fire under my woodworking again. I wasn’t too concerned about color matching, but more about using the wood to its fullest.
    The breadboard ends are made with 6/4 along with the 4” wide edge pieces. With the field being made with 4/4 stock.

That looks great!
    Some Blue Tools
    Some Yellow Tools
    A Grizzly Collection
    ShapeokoXL
    Blue and White 50 Watt

Blog Entries
    That's some beautiful cherry and a very, very nice table top. Excellent work.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Beautiful. You must still have enough of that gorgeous cherry to make something else. Matching buffet, perhaps?

John

I love the look of cherry sapwood and heartwood together. Nice job.
    Charlie Jones

No need for a hutch, but I may make the armoire. What’s holding me back from that project is, I’m getting old and, it would weigh a ton!

thanks all!

Very pretty and nice job. That really is nice wood too.

Strange but I was fully expecting a round top. Must be power of suggestion because of 'Crate and Barrel' in the header.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Turney View Post
    No need for a hutch, but I may make the armoire. What’s holding me back from that project is, I’m getting old and, it would weigh a ton!

thanks all!

I completely understand. I'm starting to turn down some projects because they are just too big/heavy. Sometimes I've figured a workaround by redesigning a piece into modular sections so each is small/light enough to move and then do the final assembly in the final location. It doesn't suit every project but it works for some.

John

Great example of ignoring the conventional wisdom by not caring about the color differences. Super job.
    < insert spurious quote here >